We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

So much to do - not a lot of time

Chicago area, IL
Level Contributor
95 posts
94 reviews
Save Topic
So much to do - not a lot of time

Hello... we are wondering if anyone can help us figure out what to do on our second day in Jasper.....

(we will be in the Canadian Rockies for a total of 9 days)

The first day we are doing the Maligne canyon and Lake thing all day...

The second day is the day we are unsure about what to do....We want to go to Miette Hot springs, the Jasper Tram (including the hike there) and possibly See Edith Cavull... We get up really early and can start doing things at about 7 AM....We want to do hiking, see fields of wildflowers, since we are not able to spend enough time in Banff and see Sunshine Meadows/thing... or something similar to this... i have read that their is a hiking path at Miette Hot Springs - Sulpher pass to fiddle river....

so, we could go to the hot springs, hike there - then go to Edith around 2 or 3:00 and do Jasper Tram at 5 PM... or we could go in reverse... do Edith and jasper tram in the morning with the hot springs in the afternoon...

We can hike about 8 miles a day.....

we are very open to other hiking trails... but they would have to be at the expense of not doing Edith or hot spring hike

Also, are there any other hikes at Meitte hotsprings - i have read about the skyline.... but, does this have fields of wildflowers...

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated...

Mentioned in this post
Jasper
Jasper
Jasper National Park, Canada
Maligne Canyon
Maligne Canyon
3,544 Reviews
Jasper, Canada
Banff
Banff
Banff National Park, Canada
Sunshine Meadows
Sunshine Meadows
349 Reviews
Banff, Canada
Miette Hot Springs
Miette Hot Springs
505 Reviews
lost in Ohio
Level Contributor
2,286 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: So much to do - not a lot of time

If you hike Opal Hills from the trailhead at the lake -- it is 1.6K to the junction. head to the left, -- the wildflowers are on the hill as you ascen -- the meadows are 3.2K from the trailhead (i.e. another 1.6K from the junction.) continue to the right and enjoy the overlook -- then come down the steep way -- its a total of 8.2K total from start to finish.

On your way south from Jasper to LL -- I STRONGLY recommend the HELEN LAKE hike if you are looking for wildflowers. The trial head is across from Crowfoot Glacier. Once you turn the bend in the trail about 4K in, the wildflowers are thruout the area, up to the Creek.

ALSO, paradise valley's trail is filled with fields of wildflowers if you go to the left and NOT to the Giant Steps.

ALSO -- if you are strong hikers and thinking about Sunshine -- we found FAB fields of wildflowers on the trail to HEALY PASS. You take the bus up to Sunshine, but then DO NOT follow the crowd, but head out to the Pass. It is a fairly long hike, and strenuous in places, but goes thru several habitats and finally up to Healy Pass.

In fact, the area within 2K of the pass are probably the finest wildflowers I've ever seen in the Rockies -- and there arent many people at all. Rather than heading back up to Sunshine, there is a trail which brings you back down to the parking lot. It's not a short hike -- but it was well worth the effort when we did it.

If you want more details on any of these, please let me know

BUT CHECK with the visitor's centers to make sure that the place is in bloom, BEFORE you head out.

ENJOY

Mentioned in this post
Opal Hills
Opal Hills
47 Reviews
Jasper, Canada
Jasper
Jasper
12. Re: So much to do - not a lot of time

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:21 am, September 02, 2009