We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Maligne lake cruise - Spirit island

Chicago area, IL
Level Contributor
95 posts
94 reviews
Save Topic
Maligne lake cruise - Spirit island

Hello,

I am wondering if it is necessary to take the cruise to see spirit island...

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary
Level Contributor
26,210 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Maligne lake cruise - Spirit island

I think it's well worth doing. The Lake Minnewanka cruise in Banff, however, is not as spectacular, in my opinion.

Canadian that was...
Level Contributor
14 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Maligne lake cruise - Spirit island

I was there last summer and I thought it is a very beautiful place. The cruise may not be only way to get there but, without any doubt, is the easiest way.

lost in Ohio
Level Contributor
2,285 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Maligne lake cruise - Spirit island

OK, I will be the dissenting voice. I thought the "cruise" to Spirit Island grossly overpriced and thoguht that Spirit "Island" itself has become little more than a overcrowded, overtrampled photo op.

You can get there by the "cruise", by hiring a boat, by canoeing or kayaking.

Or you could just forget the whole thing, by a post card, and spent the time more productively.

Just my opinion

Southern California
Level Contributor
44 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Maligne lake cruise - Spirit island

Have done the cruise three times in the past three years, so I guess that would constitute a recommendation that you do it (but then I am a totally biased Canadian Rockies addict).

If you are going to spend the time to drive to Maligne Lake, do the cruise.

If you aren't planning to ever go back to Jasper, do the cruise.

lost in Ohio
Level Contributor
2,285 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Maligne lake cruise - Spirit island

If you aren't planning to ever go back to Jasper, do the cruise.

Fair enough. I'll endorse that! (I DO like the snack bar at the Lake, by the way -- especially the deserts.)

6. Re: Maligne lake cruise - Spirit island

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:17 pm, August 31, 2009