We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Jasper,Alberta

Victoria, Canada
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Jasper,Alberta

We are coming from Victoria,B.C.The first week of March by train.We have done a lot of research about what you can do in Jasper and what is available.But the one question we have is if your renting a car where is the best place to drive to view wildlife in there natural surroundings that isn,t a long distance away?Like I mean hours away.For us to be able to have the chance to see a wolf would just complete our trip.

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary
Level Contributor
26,336 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Jasper,Alberta

I"ve spent many hours birdwatching in areas where there are wolves, but I've never seen a wolf. Your best bet is to find a guide who can take you on a night-time "wolf howl", where you listen for howling wolves. I don't know if anyone in Jasper does this, though; perhaps the local expert for Jasper, Krp329, is aware of someone.

(Of course, if you want to go with the best, you could contact Ben Gadd, author of _Handbook of the Canadian Rockies_ and Jasper naturalist: www.bengadd.com )

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
20,035 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Jasper,Alberta

Unfortunately, I am the person to advise anyone where to go to see wolves. Lately, in the last several years, there have been many many sightings in the townsite area and the Maligne Valley, however I seem to have bad luck when it comes to seeing them and have only seen single wolves briefly on a couple of occasions..

Driving the Maligne Road, at least as far as Medicine Lake, is always worthwhile, and lots of people have had exciting sightings there.

lost in Ohio
Level Contributor
2,285 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Jasper,Alberta

I have ONCE seen a wolf in Jasper and it was on the Maligne lake road in late December. The same week I saw a pair of Bald Eagles on the edge of Maligne Canyone and a Moose on the road itself. A glorious weekend.

Unfortunately, there can be no guarantees about wildlife in the Rockies especially in the summer. The land is too vast, and the animals have little interest in being on display.

I agree that the MALIGNE LAKE ROAD is by far the best natural opportunity.

I have regularly seen coyote and elk on the edges of the road, but again, who can see when and where they will be tomorrow?

One thing I can tell you for sure -- if you want to see wildlife -- get out EARLY. Driving just after dawn is your best chance -- or hiking away from the road BEFORE other hikers.

The animals share the park with the people -- but whenever the people are around, most of the animals prefer to seek solitude.

4. Re: Jasper,Alberta

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:18 am, August 27, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Jasper