We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Aurora viewing tips - jasper

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
180 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Aurora viewing tips - jasper

I am using the website aurorawatch.ca and it was a good night they said last night to view the aurora. Anyone have good spots from where to observe them in or around Jasper?

Edited: 11:19 am, October 02, 2013
Mentioned in this post
Jasper
Jasper
Jasper National Park, Canada
Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
6,893 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Aurora viewing tips - jasper

Almost anywhere, I'd think. There's not a whole lot of light pollution once you get outside of Jasper townsite.

One place that comes to mind (I'm not an aurora watcher, but I know the park well) is the viewpoint immediately before the Maligne Canyon main (upper) parking lot. Besides a panoramic view, there aren't any mountains blocking the view to the north. It's about 10 minutes outside town. Enjoy.

EDIT: Or drive out to the Jasper airfield, a few minutes east of town. Big open field, no obstructions.

Edited: 11:38 am, October 02, 2013
Mentioned in this post
Jasper
Jasper
Maligne Canyon
Maligne Canyon
3,541 Reviews
Jasper, Canada
Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
180 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Aurora viewing tips - jasper

Thanks for the tips!

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
20,792 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Aurora viewing tips - jasper

VP's recommendations are spot-on. The first is called "Athabasca Overlook". Another good spot is any of the lakes - Pyramid Lake has beaches facing north.

Aurora watch was showing 97% chance of aurora sightings last night for the Edmonton area (which should indicate Jasper too, I think) but unfortunately, it was completely overcast here.

Mentioned in this post
Athabasca Hotel
Athabasca Hotel
345 Reviews
Jasper, Canada
Pyramid Lake Resort
Pyramid Lake Resort
648 Reviews
Jasper, Canada
Edmonton
Edmonton
Alberta, Canada
Jasper
Jasper
Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
180 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Aurora viewing tips - jasper

Looks like there is a 36% chance tonight. Hopefully theyll issue an alert later. I have no experience whatsoever with the northern lights, how do they appear? Is it like waiting for a shooting star or passing satellite or Are they sustained for a few minutes at a time?

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
6,893 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Aurora viewing tips - jasper

They usually go on for a while. If it's a really good show, you might find yourself laying on the grass for a while. :)

Good luck!

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
20,792 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Aurora viewing tips - jasper

Often when they first come out, they are a faint whitish glow, and look quite a bit like wispy high clouds up in the sky.... except they shift around. Usually they will get brighter and then you can really see them "dancing". I haven't seen multi-coloured ones, usually just greenish or white.

Western Canada
Level Contributor
1,074 posts
575 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Aurora viewing tips - jasper

What are the best times of the year to see them?

TIA

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
20,792 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Aurora viewing tips - jasper

Not in summer ... in Jasper, it is only completely pitch dark from about 12:30 or 1 am to about 3:30 or 4.

Mentioned in this post
Jasper
Jasper
9. Re: Aurora viewing tips - jasper

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, October 06, 2014