We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

canadian rail trip to Jasper

india
4 posts
1 review
Save Topic
canadian rail trip to Jasper

we are planning a trip to California aand thought of visiting the canadian rockies. someone suggested that a really scenic waywas to take scenic train ride. is it prettier to board at Vancouver or Galgary. we wish to get off at Jasper to beable to spend a couple of days there. what is the name of the train? how to book? and what would be the approx costs. we dont want the 4 day pkg but would like to board and then get off at Jasper. need advice please. veena mallick

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
20,004 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: canadian rail trip to Jasper

There are two companies offering rail transportation through Jasper: Via Rail www.viarail.ca and Rocky Mountain Rail Tours, who operate the Rocky Mountaineer.

seattle
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
19,542 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: canadian rail trip to Jasper

I do this trip on the Rocky Mountaineer many times as I am a tour guide. I do suggest taking it from Vancouver for many reasons. Seeing the coast is nice but as you get closer to the mountains the views get better and better. Taking it the other way you leave the mountains pretty quickly and it sort of becomes mundane. I believe that the Rocky Mountaineer while a pvt train allows you to see everything in daylinght which Via Rail does not.

india
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: canadian rail trip to Jasper

still need an answer on whether it is pssible to do a one night two day trip on rocky mountaineer. vinmallick

seattle
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
19,542 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: canadian rail trip to Jasper

yes, here is the link to the rocky mountaineer

rockymountaineer.com/vacation_packages/rocky…