We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Jasper tramway

Which Jasper National Park hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
usa
Level Contributor
1,979 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Jasper tramway

Is a ride on this worth it ? Is it more/less beautiful than a cruise on Lake Maligne ?

usa
Level Contributor
1,979 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Jasper tramway

As a side question, how does it compare to ride up Sulphur mtn in Banff ?

Moose Jaw, Canada
Level Contributor
302 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Jasper tramway

it really depends on what you like. The tramway is fun, and you get some great views, on a clear day. However it is completely different from the Maligne lake cruise. The cruise is I beleive 50.00 per person, for about 90 min's.

They are two completely differnet activities however. I enjoy both, but without knowing what type of experience you are looking for. The boat is more relaxed, and less active, but there is still a walk around an island if you choose. The tramway is a nice ride up, and then you can hike up further if you like.

How long will you be in Jasper -- you may be able to do both.

Toronto
Level Contributor
328 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Jasper tramway

I agree-- it all depends on what you are looking for.

But that said, definitely vote for the tramway. It is a unique way to see clear across to British Columbia! The views are spectacular and the hike past the tea house is not difficult, even for children, as long as proper footwear is used.

It is one of my favourite things to do in Jasper and I can honestly say I never get tired of the breathtaking vistas.

No matter what you see in Jasper, you will love your stay!

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
18,414 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Jasper tramway

I have been up the Tram 2000+ times (worked there one summer many years ago) and I still go there happily everytime I have out-of-town company. The view is incomparable!

The tram is the only way to get up into the alpine zone unless you hike. Or, if you are a hiker but have limited time, you can use the tram as a way of getting up high and then enjoying a hike in the alpine - from the upper tram terminal, you can hike to the top of the mountain and then dip down the other side and wander and enjoy the meadows ... no slogging up through the forest to get to treeline.

The difference between the tram and Sulphur Mountain Gondola is that at the tram you can get away from the crowds of people and find a quiet place to enjoy the view to yourself (if you wish).

Maligne Lake is also beautiful, but as others mentioned, a different experience.

usa
Level Contributor
1,979 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Jasper tramway

Thanks for the info guys !

Teesside, England
Level Contributor
1,511 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Jasper tramway

How on earth can you compare a ride on a cable-car to a cruise on a lake!

I have done both and they are both very good . . . . but very different!