We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is it worth staying more than one night?

toronto
Level Contributor
53 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Is it worth staying more than one night?

I am heading to calgary for the stampede and then intend on driving up to edmonton and taking the icefields parkway through jasper, lake louise and banff ending back in calgary. The plan is to get to edmonton by mid afternoon ( 2-3pm) and leave the next day, not sure when. Is that sufficient just to see the major attractions? thanks

Calgary, Alberta...
Level Contributor
3,855 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is it worth staying more than one night?

>>>The plan is to get to edmonton by mid afternoon ( 2-3pm) and leave the next day, not sure when. Is that sufficient just to see the major attractions?<<<

Whether or not you should include Edmonton at all is debatable. It depends on how much time you have to spend on your overall trip. If you can afford the time, I think Edmonton deserves 2 nights.

However, I would never advise anyone to see Edmonton at the expensive of the Rockies. I'm not saying that because I subscribe to some sort of Calgary - Edmonton rivalry. I would say the same thing about Calgary. NEITHER of these cities should be allowed to detract from sufficient time in the Rockies, in my opinion.

However, since you apparently are coming out here to see the Stampede, the Calgary part of your trip presumably is non-negotiable (and in any case you do need to land in one of the two cities in order to access the Rockies).

IF you can afford the time, it would be nice to do a detour to Drumheller, so that you can visit the Royal Tyrrell Museum of Paleontology, on the day that you travel from Calgary to Edmonton. The dinosaur skeletons at the Tyrrell are very impressive.

Then it would be nice to spend at least a full day in Edmonton, which would mean spending two nights there. That is, if time permits.

Canada
Level Contributor
16 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is it worth staying more than one night?

Hi travel_Hound. I guess to answer your question I'd have to ask you what you consider an 'attraction'. I think the appeal of Edmonton is the history of the founding of the city and the people that made it what it is.

I'd recommend seeing the Ukranian Cultural Village, (east of Edmonton), the Fort Edmonton Park, the Provincial Museum, and even the Railroad museum if you can. This would take a very full day or 1. 5 days.

If you're a mall person, a lot of people like WEM but I personally would not spend time there.

A full day for the drive through the Rockies is time well spent. It is one of the most beautiful drives you will ever take!

have fun,

kyahgirl

Canada
Level Contributor
278 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Is it worth staying more than one night?

i kind of disagree about not seeing the MALL. It is worth it. You don't say where you're visiting from. You can get some really good shopping deals at the Mall. It is worth the visit, but I wouldn't recommend going on a weekend. Too many people. They have a huge Imax at the mall which is worth a peek, and the fire breathing dragon in Silvercity theatres cost a couple million to build and is great fun for the kids. Also don't forget the Waterpark and the rollercoaster.

Other stuff you may enjoy is a visit to the Odyssium. Lots of stuff to do and they also have an Imax.

Edmonton
2 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Is it worth staying more than one night?

Although I agree with the others about many of the attractions, think about just wandering Edmonton too! If you'd like to get a nice taste for the city, why not wander down Edmonton's Whyte Avenue on the southside of the city, near the University of Alberta. This area tends to attract artists and students, and is lined with interesting little shops. Old Strathcona itself, surrounding Whyte Avenue, is composed of older houses largely from the turn of the century, allowing for quiet contemplative walking and people watching. From there, you could enjoy a picnic in one of Edmonton's many parks, followed by a walk through the river valley.

I suppose your choices will depend on what you're looking for. West Edmonton Mall is certainly interesting, and worth at least a look, I think, but there is much more to the city. There are attractions to suit whatever it is you want your vacation to include, whether that means more activity, or just a quieter, relaxing afternoon.