We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

good places to swim in Edmonton ?!

2 posts
Save Topic
good places to swim in Edmonton ?!

I'm new to Edmonton and wondering if anyone could reccomend any good beaches or lakes for swimming this summer ? I've tried looking it up on google but I haven't found any reviews for this summer (2014). Any input will be awesome ! :)

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
7,173 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: good places to swim in Edmonton ?!

There are no natural beaches or lakes within the city limits. You'd have to drive out to some place like Elk Island National Park for swimming. There are other locations, though some have blue-green algae warnings at the moment.

In the city, your options are the city pools, both indoor and outdoor.

Mentioned in this post
Elk Island National Park
Elk Island National Park
458 Reviews
Edmonton, Canada
Edmonton, Canada
Destination Expert
for Edmonton, Yellowknife
Level Contributor
1,365 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: good places to swim in Edmonton ?!

If you are a Summerside resident there is a beach there, but you need to be a resident.

But if you are willing to drive at least 30 mins to 45 mins, there are a few in the area, and if there is a place to swim in Elk Island than I've learnt something new!

There is Miquelon Lake, Pigeon Lake (Ma-me-o Beach), Wabamun, Alberta Beach and Wizard lake (Jubilee) in the area, all within an hour's drive. Head early. Ma-me-o has a small beach, Alberta Beach has a nice beach but very shallow, good for kids. Haven't tried Wizard yet, but love their campsites. Miquelon is very nice and a short drive from the southside along highway 14.

Wabamun is nice, small swimming area, but nice beach and grassy park area.

Mentioned in this post
Ma-Me-O Beach
Ma-Me-O Beach
Alberta, Canada
Wabamun
Wabamun
Alberta, Canada
Alberta Beach
Alberta Beach
Alberta, Canada
Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
7,173 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: good places to swim in Edmonton ?!

My bad. There is a lake at Elk Island, but it's not recommended for swimming because of swimmer's itch.

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
6,869 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: good places to swim in Edmonton ?!

This sandbar in west Edmonton should be pleasant on a hot day like we've been having lately. https://goo.gl/maps/feO17

Zoom out to see access options; it's a bit of a walk, but that keeps it from being well-known.

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
3,934 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: good places to swim in Edmonton ?!

i seem to recall the provincial park at pigeon lake having a decent beach/swimming area. as mentioned though, right now you should not swim in that lake. it get's blue green algae - normally not till later in the summer but because of this heat, it came early this year. i like miquelon. unfortunately, our lakes are not as nice as they use to be mostly due to decreasing water levels.

2 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: good places to swim in Edmonton ?!

Yes I have heard of the blue-green algea warnings, thats kind of what I was wondering. If anyone had actually been to any of the lakes or beaches and went swimming, how the water quality was and such.

Edmonton, Alberta
Level Contributor
34 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: good places to swim in Edmonton ?!

Check out swimguide.org

Has up to date status reports of the water quality in lakes around Alberta.

Mentioned in this post
Alberta
Alberta
Canada
8. Re: good places to swim in Edmonton ?!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, August 05, 2015