We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Truck & Camper from Vancouver to Edmonton in early august

Which Edmonton hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
British Columbia...
Level Contributor
4 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Truck & Camper from Vancouver to Edmonton in early august

We are leaving from Nanaimo, ferry to Van and heading to Edmonton in early aug. Haven't booked any places to stay with our camper. Probably wanted the Jasper route going. Is it possible to find overnight spots without booking ahead where we can pull in with our camper unit? Where is the first night most likely to be considering traffic etc?

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
5,558 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Truck & Camper from Vancouver to Edmonton in early august

Welcome!

It depends on when you are coming. Remember that the first Monday in August is a holiday (officially or unofficially) so spaces that weekend (Thurs-Sun) are likely to be very limited in the national parks. Most of the campsites are first come, first serve, so you need to arrive early to ensure a spot. My understanding is that on a long weekend if you don't arrive by Thursday afternoon or Friday morning, your only choice may be an unserviced spot in an overflow campsite.

Otherwise you should be able to find a spot, but arriving earlier in the day is better. There are no other places you can park a camper overnight in the parks and very few outside the parks (other than designated provincial or private campsites). There are provincial campsites outside Jasper NP, and in a pinch you can park in WalMart lots. I also noticed the supermarket in Hinton advertising free overnight parking for campers in their parking lot. Hardly scenic, but it would work in pinch.

You can find a list of campsites and their amenities here: pc.gc.ca/eng/…camping.aspx

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
25,103 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Truck & Camper from Vancouver to Edmonton in early august

<< Is it possible to find overnight spots without booking ahead where we can pull in with our camper unit? ?|>>

Possible yes, but not entirely reliable. It would be unlikely within about four hours of Vancouver. Once you get north of Kamloops, then it thins out quite a bit until you get into the National Parks.

<<Where is the first night most likely to be considering traffic etc?>>

That depends entirely on what time you get going, how long you think you will drive and what time you want to stop. Probably look at Clinton.

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
18,166 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Truck & Camper from Vancouver to Edmonton in early august

If it is the long weekend when you are coming through, be aware that here in Jasper National Park, ALL accommodation usually sells out - including campsites. Parks Canada has an "overflow" campsite just off highway 16, near the Snaring Campground about 10 km each of town, but I am not sure whether that fills up too. It's a big, open gravel area, but would do for an overnight stay if you are just passing through.

British Columbia...
Level Contributor
4 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Truck & Camper from Vancouver to Edmonton in early august

We should be leaving after the long weekend in august. Thanks for the replies. I may have more questions on good overnight stops heading for the Jasper route once I study the map.

Edmonton, Canada
Destination Expert
for Edmonton, Yellowknife
Level Contributor
1,337 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Truck & Camper from Vancouver to Edmonton in early august

We have been searching all parks for a place to camp with our tent trailer and so far, all weekends look to be pretty booked up already. If you can, check and make as many weekend reservations as much as possible. The weekdays look pretty good.

Calgary
Level Contributor
892 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Truck & Camper from Vancouver to Edmonton in early august

To add to Suzanne's post, keep in mind almost all Parks Canada campsites have first come/first served sites.

We were in whistlers in Jasper for Canada Long Weekend, and there were available unserviced sites every single night.

British Columbia...
Level Contributor
4 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Truck & Camper from Vancouver to Edmonton in early august

any places you can recommend as a good stay over would be appreciated.

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
18,166 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Truck & Camper from Vancouver to Edmonton in early august

If you don't want to detour from the highway (#16) much, then Whistlers, Wapiti, Snaring River, or Pocahontas campgrounds would be your best bets here in Jasper National Park.

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
5,558 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Truck & Camper from Vancouver to Edmonton in early august

A note on Pocahontas...

Despite what the Parks Canada website says, some of the spots CAN be reserved up until 2pm the day you plan to arrive.

It has been crowded - we arrived around 5pm on a regular weekend this month and were told it was full. However, they don't seem to have a way of allocating reservable spots that are not reserved by 2pm so it's not always true. It turned out that spots were available, but only in walk in camping and there's no parking for RVs/campers for these spots.

So I would probably focus on the other campgrounds and be aware that you could end up in overflow if you arrive later in the day. August long weekend is usually busier than Canada Day since the weather tends to be warmer and more folks are taking longer summer vacations at that point.

Calgary
Level Contributor
892 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Truck & Camper from Vancouver to Edmonton in early august

Coming north, I'd also see if you can overnight near Helmcken Falls in Wells Gray Prov Park. Still a favourite spot for me ....