We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A quick question for locals please

MANCHESTER, UK
Level Contributor
129 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
A quick question for locals please

Hi, we currently live in the Uk and my husband has been offered a job in Edmonton(subject to medical and police checks of course), the company have given us a timescale of about 3-4 months until he starts. I'm looking on-line for somewhere to rent that will accept our 2 dogs too(a German shepherd and a Newfoundland) . So far i have checked out Craigslist and Kijiji but could anyone point me in the right direction please as to which areas aren't too safe and which are the better ones in which to search and where else i could look to find a home. thank you in advance for any help received, trisha

Mentioned in this post
Edmonton
Edmonton
Alberta, Canada
SE Ontario
Level Contributor
22,568 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A quick question for locals please

You might want to look/ask a question on the Brits Abroad site - TA tends to frown on re-location questions:

http://www.britsabroad.com/f11/

Also - City of Edmonton site:

edmonton.ca/for_residents/neighbourhoods.aspx

Edited: 9:35 am, February 08, 2014
Mentioned in this post
Edmonton
Edmonton
Alberta, Canada
MANCHESTER, UK
Level Contributor
129 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: A quick question for locals please

Thank you for your help, i appreciate it :)

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
29 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: A quick question for locals please

something else for you to consider is the City of Edmonton Police Crime maps. This shows recent crimes within every neighborhood in Edmonton

http://crimemapping.edmontonpolice.ca/

Mentioned in this post
Edmonton
Edmonton
Alberta, Canada
Holland
Level Contributor
567 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: A quick question for locals please

I am not a local but have been an expat. Be careful with craigslist there are a lot of scams out there. You might be much better of checking with a local real estate agent that does rentals.

Calgary
Level Contributor
1,119 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: A quick question for locals please

Plus, in Canada you'll likely have better luck on Kijiji

Edmonton.kijiji.ca

Mentioned in this post
Canada
Canada
North America
Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
3,934 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: A quick question for locals please

do your dogs needs to be quarantined? can't recall the rules between the uk and canada? how much rent to you want to pay per month? where is your husband working? will you be working? if staying at home during the days...do you like shopping? cafes? nature trails? edmonton is a pretty large city and our road system is nothing to brag about so knowing where he is working would make a difference. (small tip...if you are in the millwoods area...love the off lease dog park there.)

Mission, Canada
Level Contributor
9,095 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: A quick question for locals please

Yes, phpr is correct about relocation advice being frowned upon by TA.

But, as the others have already pointed out, please take heed their advice, a big one being where in town will your husband work.

Especially, contact a Real Estate agent.

Read further, if you like.

Commuting is the pits, especially on the east side right now given the construction and completion of the NE portion of the Edmonton ring highway, i.e. Anthony Henday, Hwy 216. I can tell you ist is causing me great grief, especially during rush hour.

If your husband would be working at Imperial Oil or Suncor/PetroCan plant on Edmonton east side, Baseline Rd, Anthony Henday and/or 17th Street are the main access thoroughfares.

Personally, I would recommend looking for a home anywhere immediately off Hwy 216 (Henday) which circles Edmonton as this will likely put him within a 30 minute commute of most locations in the city. This also places you in newer communities - with "possibly" better home construction; note that there has been much issue with building contractors over the last few years.

You may find more character or Victorian era homes deep inside the city core, but you may also end up paying quite more for a home that has questionable construction.

Mentioned in this post
Edmonton
Edmonton
Alberta, Canada
MANCHESTER, UK
Level Contributor
129 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: A quick question for locals please

Thank you everyone for your input, we really are very grateful. We will know better which area he will be located in in a couple of weeks, im very much a planner and all this uncertainty doesnt sit well with me hence the research! lol . No quarantine needed (thankfully as i dont think one of ours would cope so well) both going to the vets for their vet passports plus their rabies injections on friday. Im thinking that maybe it would be easier/safer to get them collected from the airport and taken to kennels for a week or so and actually do the house hunting when we arrive. Once again thank you all very much!

Mission, Canada
Level Contributor
9,095 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: A quick question for locals please

No problem. We aim to please.

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
15 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply