We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Edmonton to Banff in December 2013

Brisbane, Australia
1 post
Save Topic
Edmonton to Banff in December 2013

I plan to travel from Edmonton to Banff on 16 December, returning the next day, I have already paid for my accommodation in Banff, but am finding it difficult to discover any bus transport between the two. would be willing to rent a car and drive but not sure what the road conditions will be like in Winter. Greyhound doesn't seem to do the journey, and, due to shortness of time, I don't really want to go via Calgary. Can anyone please help?

Mentioned in this post
Banff
Banff
Banff National Park, Canada
Calgary
Calgary
Alberta, Canada
Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
20,713 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Edmonton to Banff in December 2013

Sounds to me like you have already found the options... via Calgary is the shortest way - either by Greyhound, or by driving. It's over 400 km each way. www.greyhound.ca It's a 6 hour plus bus trip and advance ticket purchase is $39.

Mentioned in this post
Calgary
Calgary
Alberta, Canada
Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary
Level Contributor
26,629 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Edmonton to Banff in December 2013

All things being equal, it's actually faster to get to Edmonton to Banff via Calgary than via Jasper. I realize Google Maps driving times aren't too reliable elsewhere, but they are pretty reliable here:

http://goo.gl/maps/kk77M via Calgary, 4 hours / 415 km

http://goo.gl/maps/uJMEy via Jasper, 7.5 hours / 654 km

Of course, bus times will differ, but this gives you the rough idea.

If you were looking at a third route, then all I can say is that I wouldn't recommend any other routes in the winter. In fact, the Jasper route goes down the Icefields Parkway (Hwy 93N between Jasper and Lake Louise), which is really not recommended for winter travel: pc.gc.ca/eng/…winter (see the brochure "Winter on the Icefields Parkway").

You can take Greyhound or Red Arrow (a luxury commuter bus service, www.redarrow.ca ) between Edmonton and Calgary, and then you will have to change buses at the airport to get a Banff Airporter ( www.banffairporter.com ) or Brewster Connect ( brewstertransportation.com/banff-airport-exp… ) shuttle from Calgary to Banff. Greyhound all the way is also an option; you may have to change buses at the downtown Calgary Greyhound terminal. iIf that isn't fast enough for you, then your only alternative is to fly from Edmonton to Calgary and then catch a shuttle from the airport.

Edited: 1:46 am, July 13, 2013
Mentioned in this post
Banff
Banff
Calgary
Calgary
Alberta, Canada
Lake Louise
Lake Louise
Edmonton, Alberta
Level Contributor
97 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Edmonton to Banff in December 2013

It's a long drive for a day, but if the roads are in good shape and no adverse weather is predicted on the whole route, I would rent a car. Leave early in the morning, and take the Stoney Trail to bypass Calgary. Check AMA road conditions. If they are green, you will be fine. This will give you more time in Banff.

Mentioned in this post
Calgary
Calgary
Alberta, Canada
Banff
Banff
4. Re: Edmonton to Banff in December 2013

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, July 15, 2014