We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

choice of hotels

ontario, canada
Level Contributor
79 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
choice of hotels

My husband and I will be visiting Edmonton June 14-16th.

i am interested in staying in a nice hotel. I have booked the Fairmont hotel or the Metterra Hotel.

not sue which one to stay at. I understand the fairmont is in a lonely and quiet location on the weekends.

can you please give me your input or possibly recommend something else.

Edmonton, Canada
Destination Expert
for Edmonton, Yellowknife
Level Contributor
1,359 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: choice of hotels

I think it depends on whether or not you are looking for a lively place at night. The Fairmont is downtown, and at times it can be sketchy, but in the summer it's not too bad, due to all the festivals at Churchill square.

However Metterra is on whyte avenue, which has alot of nightlife, and great places to eat. It's quaint and pretty safe at night.

Level Contributor
52 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: choice of hotels

The Whyte Ave location is much livelier on the weekend, although daytime atmosphere is different than at night. There are many interesting small shops, cafes, restaurants that you can walk to. Since you'll be here on a weekend you can visit the bustling Old Strathcona Farmers Market on Saturday morning.

At night the streets belong to the twenty-something bar crowd and although I'd say it is safe, if you are out late (say after midnight) you'll probably encounter a number of drunken partiers.

Having said that, my choice would be the Whyte Ave location for its fun daytime festival atmosphere.

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
3,934 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: choice of hotels

if you have a river valley view at the Fairmont...i'd go there. our downtown is pretty dead at night but there are quite a lot of restaurants to walk to from the hotel. a work of warning. a block from the hotel, on jasper ave, they have construction going on so driving in the area is a bit of a pain. great location for jumping on a bus and going to whyte avenue for the day.

the mattera...i'd try to get a north facing room. whyte avenue is a great place for walking around...not so great to drive around. also, it is a party place at night. I've heard that if you have a room facing whyte ave...it can be loud between midnight and 2 a.m. also, if walking around...no problem...I have heard "rumors" that some taxi cab drivers don't like to do pickups around midnight in that area. just too many drunk younger people. lots of great restaurants and shops.

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
230 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: choice of hotels

Since you wanted other recommendations, there are a few other hotels downtown that would be considered in the same category as the Fairmont - the Westin, the Sutton Place and the Union Bank Inn (smaller boutique hotel). On the western side of downtown is also the Matrix. The star system can be a bit confusing for Edmonton, but these are all "nice" hotels. The former Chateau Lacombe has recently been purchased, but I don't think they have completed any of their significant renovations yet. The "downtown" hotels have many restaurant and bar choices nearby, but not the clubs like Whyte Avenue, so they are also quite a bit quieter. Depends on what you want. Both are a short taxi or bus ride apart so you could always stay in one area and visit the other. Also depends whether you want something like a pool because nothing on Whyte has that. Someone mentioned safety and that's not an issue in either area. At night, downtown you might encounter a street person and on Whyte you might encounter drunk revelers, but 99% of the time neither will bother you. During the day, both have many restaurant choices. Whyte has more small boutique shops whereas downtown you get the mall stores. Since you're here June 14-16 you're hitting the city on probably the only weekend of the summer without a major festival. Have a look at events here edmonton.ca/attractions_recreation/festivals… It's the last day of the Edmonton Pride Festival, but that's it.

5. Re: choice of hotels

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, May 29, 2014