We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to do for 4days 1st week in January

Brisbane Australia
Level Contributor
366 posts
136 reviews
Save Topic
What to do for 4days 1st week in January

Hi all TA xperts looking for some help pls

We will have 4 full days from 3rd Jan & seeking help in what to see & do.

Will Fort Edmonton be open?

Will we see all the Mall in 1 day (serious shoppers here)

Into some museums & history but not art

A little limited in mobility so no long walks or climbing mountains lol.

We will not have a car did not want to risk your weather & our non existent driving skills in snow (Calgary one year was enough for us who hail from the Sunniest state in Australia)

Can we do a dog sled ride

Are there day tours of interest outside Edmonton

Many thanks in advance

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary
Level Contributor
25,703 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What to do for 4days 1st week in January

I can't answer all of your questions, but I will tackle a few of them.

Fort Edmonton Park won't be open during your trip; their regular season starts on the Victoria Day weekend (in late May) and goes until Labour Day (early September): fortedmontonpark.ca/plan-your-trip/location-…

If you're lucky, Ft Edmonton may be open for a special event during your visit; check their website as you get closer to the time of your trip. It would probably be on a weekend, if it happens.

I think you'll be able to see all of West Edmonton Mall in one day; the main attraction there isn't actually the shopping, believe it or not. The big draw for most visitors is all the non-shopping stuff that they have, such as the ice rink, water park, mini-golf, and amusement park.

The Royal Alberta Museum is well worth a visit.

Edited: 10:41 am, May 07, 2013
Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
18,825 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What to do for 4days 1st week in January

Edmonton is a rather sprawling city and getting around without a car is time-consuming. You can find info on the public transit system here: edmonton.ca/transportation/…

The weather in winter-time is often VERY bitterly cold - as in below -25 or -30C *and* with what we call "wind chill factor" (the wind making it feel even colder than it is)... wind chill temps are often below -35 or -40, temperatures in which exposed skin freezes in a matter of minutes. So whether or not you will be able to do any outdoor activities is really at the whim of the weather.

I'm not sure about day tours, but perhaps the Edmonton Tourism organization can help: http://www.edmonton.com/for-visitors.aspx However, other than ski trips to the mountains (Jasper), which is a bit far as a day trip, tourism is more of a summer-time thing. In warmer weather, there are various festivals and other events that draw people.

Note also that daylight hours are quite short at that time of year - approximately 9 am to 4 pm.

My initial thought on reading your questions was one of my own: Why Edmonton? I am at a bit of a loss to imagine four days there at that time of year, and am wondering what the rest of your itinerary is.

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
85 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What to do for 4days 1st week in January

Do you have to come in January?

Not trying to sound negative but Edmonton is a wonderful city to visit in the Summertime... but January is possibly THE WORST time of year to come. The weather is almost always unbearably cold, outdoor attractions are all closed, because we're so far North it dark by 5:00 PM, and even the locals are finding every excuse to get out of town to Mexico, Arizona, Costa Rica, etc.

Fortunately, if you are serious shoppers you could easily spend a couple days in West Edmonton Mall. There is so much to see and do, even with limited mobility. The Royal Alberta Museum is a nice visit; if you could put off your visit until 2015 we're building a brand new Royal Alberta Museum to replace the existing one. Edmonton is also a great city for fine dining any time of the year. Maybe try out some of the better restaurants. If you want recommendations, just let us know.

On the other hand, if you're from Down Under perhaps freezing temperatures and snow will actually be a novelty for you. No kidding. Often times people travel to see things they can't see at home.

Hope this helps.

Brisbane Australia
Level Contributor
366 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What to do for 4days 1st week in January

Thank you all so much for the prompt replies. kpr discdogman: Itinerary is Texas 1st part then seeing other parts of Canada that we have not previously seen but doing it by rail but due to the schedules with ViaRail & as we wanted to visit Edmonton we have a stop over of the 4 days coming from Toronto until the next train to eventually Vancouver we can see no other way of getting across apart from flying.or leaving Edmonton out & god forvid that means missibg out on THE MALL :( lol

We wish we did not have 4 days because we know perhaps even b4 your replies that we would have probs with a lot of places not being open or too darn cold to move around outdoors. That is our penance for only being able to take our holidays around xmas time

And yes discodogman still a bit of a novelty as we love the snow in Dec/Jan even after many a white Xmas beats our 38deg heat.

While we have been to many parts of America & Canada we may have to rework our itinerary but did so want to do the rail across & marvel @ the beautiful passing scenery in daylight hours even if snow covered as we knew driving was definitely out

But watch this pace there cld be more Q's..thx all again

SE Ontario
Level Contributor
18,707 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What to do for 4days 1st week in January

Much as I like Edmonton, it's not worth spending 4 days there in January just to see the very over-hyped Mall... the Mall is not terribly interesting. Perhaps consider stopping for a day or two, then take a bus to Jasper for a day or so, and pick the train up there to continue on to Vancouver.

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary
Level Contributor
25,703 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What to do for 4days 1st week in January

If I was spending several days in Edmonton in January, I'd be sure to make a stop at the Muttart Conservatory, although I haven't been there before:

edmonton.ca/attractions_recreation/attractio…

Brisbane Australia
Level Contributor
366 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What to do for 4days 1st week in January

Thank u phpr: We have been to Jasper...so now looking at an extra nite in Toronto to pick up the next scheduled train for a 4nite trip non stop to Vancouver naturally in a bedroom cabin

I'm hearing you question 4nights on a train but we did a 3nite from Seattle to Chicago on Amtrak a few years back & loved it so hoping ViaRail will be as good

We just have to find the best way to get around & see much of the country without driving in the heavy snow areas I know we will miss a lot at nite but hoping the days will make up plus it is so relaxing

Now onto the Torono forum for some help

8. Re: What to do for 4days 1st week in January

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, May 09, 2014