We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Edmonton for toddlers

Waterloo, Canada
Level Contributor
256 posts
42 reviews
Save Topic
Edmonton for toddlers

We are headed to Edmonton next week for a wedding. While the wedding activities will take up much of our time, it looks like we have about two days mostly to ourselves in the city (we are headed to jasper and Banff after the wedding for more vacation time).

My husband and I are traveling with our fifteen month old son (and will be spending some time with friends who have kids close in age and are also coming into town for the wedding) so that changes how we sightsee! Our main goal is to have a good time as a family, if that means we don't see a lot of the usual sights that's fine...I'm sure we will make it back to do that when he is older!

Fort Edmonton park is already on the list of places we will be going later in the week.

What else is fun for this age group? In addition to tourist activities, I figure we will also hit some local playgrounds, pools, splash pads, etc., depending on the weather. We will be staying at theMatrix, so bonus points for parks, etc. that would be close by, but we will also have a car!

Thanks so much!

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
3,934 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Edmonton for toddlers

if it's hot weather, you can pack a picnic lunch and head to city hall or the parliament grounds. they both have shallow public wading pools. great place to cool off with kids.

there are several parks in the city that have "water parks". just like a playground but they have water sprouting from items. great fun for kids on a hot day.

a nice lake/beach not too far from the city is miquelon lake provincial park.

cooler weather, you could go to the west edmonton mall waterpark or galaxyland - pricey though.

we have a small zoo - nothing special if you have seen good zoos.

william hawrelak park is nice. they have some cook stoves...you could bring some wood and have a weiner/marshmellow roast. they also have paddle boats you can rent and take the kids out on a small man made lake.

edmonton.ca/attractions_recreation/parks_riv…

Waterloo, Canada
Level Contributor
256 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Edmonton for toddlers

Thanks! Any ideas of the names or locations of some of the parks that have splashpads? He LOVES those, and it looks like our first day or two in town at least will be warm!

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
3,934 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Edmonton for toddlers

edmonton.ca/attractions_recreation/sport_rec…

kinsmen park is nice and not far from your hotel

Edmonton
Level Contributor
373 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Edmonton for toddlers

Edmonton's zoo is great for toddlers, with a train, paddle boat, and a petting zoo. Probably better than Fort Edmonton.

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
6,213 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Edmonton for toddlers

That would be the Legislature, not parliament, with the splash pool in front. The Legislature building is the prominent sandstone dome at the north end of the High Level Bridge (109 Street); the pool is on the north side of the building. You might enjoy a walk across the (very high!) bridge to get there; excellent view.

Edmonton, AB
Level Contributor
307 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Edmonton for toddlers

My two year old nephew loves the toddler/preschooler play area at the Telus World of Science. I haven't seen it myself since its recent renovation, but I hear it's great.

7. Re: Edmonton for toddlers

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, August 24, 2013