We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

hotel near public transportation and restaurants

Which Edmonton hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Ennis, Ireland
2 posts
Save Topic
hotel near public transportation and restaurants

Myself and my hubby are relocating to Edmonton and while we look for a place to rent we will need a hotel in a good location in Edmonton i.e I want want that is close to public transportation restaurants etc. I don't necessarily need downtown location. Any help would be appreciated. Also totally different but what would be a good neighbourhood to rent in but not overly expensive. Something about 1,000 - 1,200 K a month for a one bedroomed apt.

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
18,414 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: hotel near public transportation and restaurants

Besides downtown, there are several clusters of hotels in Edmonton, and which one would be most convenient for you really depends on a bunch of factors, one being... where do you need transit to take you? One cluster is in the west end of the city (Stony Plain road/100th Ave, around 178th Street), convenient to West Edmonton Mall. There is a cluster near the city centre airport (perhaps soon-to-be "former" airport?), which is not too far from downtown; another cluster is on the south side around Gateway Blvd and the Whitemud freeway. There are, of course, other areas that have hotels, but these are where they are concentrated. I'm not sure how convenient these are for transit - certainly they are all on bus routes, but the west end and south end areas in particularly are really geared at travellers in cars.

Perhaps if you could be a bit more specific about your needs - ? Also, what price range are you looking for? Rates for many of the mid-range chain hotel in Edmonton are in the $125 - 150 per night range, plus taxes.

Ennis, Ireland
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: hotel near public transportation and restaurants

Thanks for your quick response. I want something that I can commute to other parts of the city fairly easily and within easy reach of downtown. I don't want to be stuck in some hotel with no public transportation or facilites close by. Perhaps it might be best to stick close to downtown

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
44 posts
163 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: hotel near public transportation and restaurants

If you want access to good local restaurants, stay along Whyte Avenue (Mettera Hotel on Whyte is a good one) . The unfortunate part of that area is that it is quite a distance away from the LRT but there is still ample bus service along that main road. If you stay in the West Edmonton Mall area, keep in mind it's not transit or pedestrian friendly.

Mission, Canada
Destination Expert
for Travel Gadgets and Gear, Mission
Level Contributor
9,095 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: hotel near public transportation and restaurants

If you want easy access to affordable and new hotel accommodation, check the new Holiday Inn on 137th Ave and 50th St. It backs onto the Fort Rd / Manning Drive, and is within easy distance to the LRT station. LRT means quick and easy access to downtown. That would also place you in an up and coming region for rentals and home purchases near that LRT station.

Edmonton
Level Contributor
17 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: hotel near public transportation and restaurants

Honestly the best location in Edmonton to be for transit is downtown- I live downtown and use the transit extensively. One bus ride to (100) to west ed mall. one train ride north to clareview which has a superstore, walmart, costco in walking distance. one train ride south to Southgate mall or whyte avenue - all your shopping needs. Acutally Whyte ave is a pleasant 30min walk from downtown. Grocery store downtown on jasper and 109st. When my family comes up to visit, my mom gets on priceline and books a hotel downtown. If you know how to do it right you can get rooms for 50-80$ a night.

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
3,934 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: hotel near public transportation and restaurants

you might want to check this place out http://www.albertaplace.com/. their suites have kitchens which may come in handy if you are there for a while. rates are pretty reasonable and it is located downtown close to public transportation. there is a sobey's grocery store nearby and numberous restaurants.

Mission, Canada
Destination Expert
for Travel Gadgets and Gear, Mission
Level Contributor
9,095 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: hotel near public transportation and restaurants

Looks like you're getting lots more great advice.

I hadn't thought to suggest the downtown, as I don't use transit and only drive. Driving and parking in the downtown is such a pain too. Not as bad as Calgary, but parking is a definite premium along Whyte, if you consider it part of downtown. If I am not mistaken, the higher end hotels in the core should provide secure FREE underground parking to their guests.

8. Re: hotel near public transportation and restaurants

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:17 am, March 01, 2011