We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Edmonton in December - Looking for tips/advice

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
106 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Edmonton in December - Looking for tips/advice

Hello all

I will be in Edmonton for 2 days in December before i head off to Jasper so i am looking for advice/suggestion on things to do

Is there any observation tower/deck in Edmonton?

I have read that there was one but it closed down "Vista 33"

I arrive on the 15th of December around lunch time and i depart for Jasper on the 16th around 4pm

So far i was thinking:

- Visit old strathcona

- Visit Alberta legislature

- Go to the observation deck if you have one

- Walk somewhere where i can take pictures of edmonton skyline (where could i go?)

- Briefly walk around edmonton mall before i catch my bus to jasper

What do you think? any other suggestions?

Also can you recommend the best pizza place, best burger joint, best coffee and cake place in Edmonton?

Thanks!

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
106 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Edmonton in December - Looking for tips/advice

Thanks for your advice so far!

Has anyone eaten at Tony's Pizza Palace ? is it good or bad?

Also about the cougars in Jasper, i am concerned because i am travelling alone so i wonder whether i should risk it and take a hike around the discovery trail?

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
19,428 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: Edmonton in December - Looking for tips/advice

italmelb - you would be incredibly lucky to even see a cougar footprint in the snow, much less sight a cougar itself. The odds of being attacked by a cougar are so incredibly small; you have a much - MUCH - bigger chance of your airplane crashing on your way to Canada, or being in a motor vehicle accident. Seriously, the risk is so small, it's not even worth worrying about.

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
43 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: Edmonton in December - Looking for tips/advice

Historically, you may want to see the John Walter Museum that is in the Kinsman Field house park under the High level bridge and across the river from the Legislature, it may be open to the public thru the winter months,, The Royal Alberta Museum on about 126 st and Stony PLain road is very interesting and warm in winter

Edmonton
Level Contributor
453 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: Edmonton in December - Looking for tips/advice

re: pizza

Have not tried Tonys' myself but have only heard good things about it.

One of my favorites is the original Royal Pizza in Old Strathcona, just east off of 104 St, 10433 80 Ave. In recent years they have opened other locations but I find it's hit/miss whether they match up to the original. I think it may have something to do with the ovens at the original location having been "seasoned" over so many years.

25. Re: Edmonton in December - Looking for tips/advice

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, May 30, 2010