We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving & Accidents

Mission, Canada
Level Contributor
9,095 posts
85 reviews
Save Topic
Driving & Accidents

If you consider yourself a good driver, who behaves themselves on the road, showing courtesy to others, doesn't cut someone off and doesn't speed, well then, you have a bit to learn for driving in Edmonton.

Did you know, according to my insurance agent, that Edmonton has the worst statistics in Canada. I can believe it, considering our population and then the number of car accidents I see or hear about on the radio reports.

I have noticed that for the most part Edmonton drivers show a great deal of courtesy to other drivers.

When I look at their licence plates, I notice that they usually are workers from out-of-province or someone with a new car who wants to avoid damage. (chuckle!)

I notice a great deal of speeding in the good weather here, and then trudge along in the winter. I think people really need to buy winter tires.

I notice drivers at the Yellowhead and 17th Street westbound merge constantly jiving for lane changes at the day's end rush hour, sometimes to the extreme of cutting each other off.

I notice several instances of tailgating along Highway (Hwy) 216 northbound at day's end rush hour and southbound at morning rush hour.

A person really has to watch out for the Yellowhead and Hwy 216 southbound merge. It can get real "harrie" at morning rush hour.

Now with all this said, you would expect that driving in other large Canadian or American cities, that one might expect the same. Nope! Never seen it. I've lived in Toronto, Vancouver and driven Montreal. Now Montreal has a similar but unique feel to Edmonton; however, I never felt it as bad as I do here.

Hey, I like it here.

I just wish the city would pour money into the road infra-strucure and improve things. At least in Vancouver, people know its a big city and drive accordingly.

ID
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
21. Re: Driving & Accidents

Well... thank you all for your answers and help.Tomorrow i will be on my way and see how everything is for myself. I am excited. :)

22. Re: Driving & Accidents

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:16 pm, October 07, 2009