We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Downtown Edmonton Hotels

SEPTANJT016
Level Contributor
26 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Downtown Edmonton Hotels

I was doing some research on Downtown Edmonton hotels and I limited the search to Alberta Place, Comfort Inn, Days Inn, and Grand Hotel. I've read, on this wesbite, the reviews and them seem pretty decent for hotels of such caliber. Since I'm not going until next winter, which of these should I go with or if you have another suggestion, please do tell. Thanks! Simon

Calgary, Alberta...
Level Contributor
170 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Downtown Edmonton Hotels

Having been to Edmonton, many, many times and always staying downtown I wouldn't stay at any of those places. I've stayed at Alberta Place, and way to expensive for what you get and it is a very old place and needs a ton of renos. Days Inn and Comfort Inn are way overpriced in downtown Edmonton for what you get.

If you are looking into staying downtown. My top 3 choices would be: 1. Coast Plaza

2. Fairmont MacDonald

3. Courtyard by Marriott

All 3 of these places are a bit more expensive (especially the MacDonald), but you get more bang for your buck. If price isn't and issue I would consider any 3 of these!

Edmonton, AB
Level Contributor
311 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Downtown Edmonton Hotels

I would urge you to avoid the Grand Hotel at all costs. I have always thought that the one and only reviewer of it must have mistaken it for some other hotel. It is a fleabag of a hotel right next to the Greyhound station with a less than desirable reputation.

Of the four hotels you listed, I the Comfort Inn is probably the best. Not fancy, but it seems decent. You could also check out the Holiday Inn Express downtown. It's pretty affordable and is way better than something like the Grand or Days Inn.

Alberta
Level Contributor
319 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Downtown Edmonton Hotels

I can not speak for the other hotels, but as for the Grand I agree with the previous posters.

I have no idea what the rooms are like, but sometimes I have to walk by it and am ALWAYS scared when I am alone. There are unsavory characters on its door steps at all times.

SEPTANJT016
Level Contributor
26 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Downtown Edmonton Hotels

First of all, I would like to thank all of you. As for the Grand Hotel, I called to inquire about rates. The guy absolutely had no interest in speaking to me. He was like, "I'm sorry, sir but I have to talk to some people here!" I was like, "Grand Hotel, you're definitely off my list for lack of customer service!" But that lone reviewer make this place sound like its the Hyatt, here in New York. As for the Days Inn, I spoke to an agent yesterday, she told me that rates were going up because of the renovations. So, we'll see about that one. Thanks! once again!

tallahassee florida
Level Contributor
7 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Downtown Edmonton Hotels

Alberta Place was a wreck in the summer of 2006. The sheets were not changed and had pee stains. It was all dusty made as itchy. The area was old and the beds were uncomfortable. We did not sleep the whole night and started calling for other hotels about midnight. We ended up staying at Hilton Garden Inn in the west part of town that was wonderful.

The downtown of Edmonton was pretty w/ festivals, walks and other sites. The city is very cool, just not that overpriced, rancid hotel.

Regina, Canada
Level Contributor
46 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Downtown Edmonton Hotels

i am going to add onto this topic.. is there any complaints with The Westin Edmonton? b/c 109 a night seems like a good rate

Level Contributor
2,033 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Downtown Edmonton Hotels

>>>any complaints with The Westin Edmonton? b/c 109 a night seems like a good rate<<<<

Great hotel - and that's a great rate.

Regina, Canada
Level Contributor
46 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Downtown Edmonton Hotels

ok i think that is what i will go with.. i was also looking at the

holiday inn express downtown for 139.50

coast edmonton plaza for 113

DELTA EDMONTON CENTRE SUITE HOTEL EDMONTON for 149

or courtyard edmonton downtown for 109

or Hilton Garden Inn West Edmonton for 134?

any of those better hotels then the westin?

thanks

Level Contributor
2,033 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Downtown Edmonton Hotels

Kaabik

Me, I'd stick with Westin. That price you got really is good.

I can picture all the other hotels you've listed. The only newer one would be the Hilton Garden Inn West Edmonton. But that's in the far west end. Great if you're in Edm for West Edm Mall, but it's on a busy highway - a sharp contrast to Westin which is in the heart of downtown.

My second choice would be Courtyard - which is only a block or so away from Westin - because of the $109 price. It had a makeover a few years back; it wasn't a brand name previously. Great views.

Third choice: Delta - which is in a downtown shopping mall. Partly because I don't see that you're gaining much with a $149 price.

Note that all 3 will likely have parking costs if you've got a car.

Regina, Canada
Level Contributor
46 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Downtown Edmonton Hotels

thank you very much.. i am pretty much 99% sure to go with the westin now..