We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

W.Edm.Mall residential area-is it safe for an evening walk?

Kelowna, BC
1 post
Save Topic
W.Edm.Mall residential area-is it safe for an evening walk?

I have to travel to Edmonton 4 times a year on business. I don't have any relatives in Edmonton and dont know the city & although the mall is OK I can only do so much shopping. I miss getting some fresh air & am getting bored watching tv & staying in my hotel room at night. I do travel with a couple of other female co-workers

(age 50 ish) & was wondering if any locals could tell us...are the residential areas close to the mall quite safe if we wanted to get out for a bit of a walk in the evening?

Thanks for your help! I'm in the central Okanagan Valley so if I can be of any help to anyone maybe I can return the favour.

OKWinelover

Little Italy
Gift & Specialty Shops
Chinatown
Gift & Specialty Shops
Zocalo
Gift & Specialty Shops
Level Contributor
2,033 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: W.Edm.Mall residential area-is it safe for an evening walk?

The areas next to the West Edm Mall are typical suburbia. No safety concerns at all. I wouldn't hesitate walking at night.

Also, this time of year, sun set isn't until 10pm

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
124 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: W.Edm.Mall residential area-is it safe for an evening walk?

Edmonton is actually a pretty safe city, despite the news coverage. Going around the mall is fine and safe, but for a more scenic walk, you might consider taking a cab to MacKinnon ravine (the head is at 142 street and about 92 or 93 ave. It would be maybe 5-7 minutes by cab, but probably 5km to walk). You can take the trail system for a long time, and when you are ready to end your walk, either head back the way you came or get on to a main road and hail a cab.

3. Re: W.Edm.Mall residential area-is it safe for an evening walk?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:29 am, September 06, 2009