We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Electronics/Nightlife

Which Edmonton hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London, England
Level Contributor
128 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Electronics/Nightlife

Hi, coming to Edmonton on 2nd - 5th August with friends (24-25years of age). We are coming for a freinds wedding then heading to Toronto, we are from the UK! Im looking for somewhere where I may be able to get a Bose SoundDock Digital Music System for a relatively low price. I know of the huge Mall you have there and will try that out. But was also wandering whether anyone knows of any outlet centres where I could purchase this!

Also, we are a young lively polite group who would like to hit the town at night and if anyone could tell us what places to go to that would be great. Also great places to eat!!

Many thanks

Alberta
Level Contributor
207 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Electronics/Nightlife

Future Shop and Best Buy are the biggest electronic stores in the area. Future Shop has the Bose SoundDock system for $400 (not sure if that's a good price or not). You might also want to check at A&B Sound. If you are in the South end of Edmonton, you can find all 3 of these stores within a short distance.

The "party area" of Edmonton is generally along Whyte (82nd) Ave between 101 St. & 109 St. There are many bars and outdoor patios in this stretch. It has also gotten a little bit of a bad reputation of being a rowdy area on weekend evenings. There are also a number of bars/restaurants at West Edmonton Mall.

London, England
Level Contributor
128 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Electronics/Nightlife

thanks for your help! Iv found the system for $330 in Toronto, which im visiting after my stay in Edmonton, so maybe best to purchase there! I found a place called Emersys on 51st Avenue through the Bose dealer locater, anyone have a contact no. or email for this place?! Would be so grateful!

So Whyte Avenue it is!! Generally what time does everything close up in Edmonton, bars/clubs? Also what time is the last time you can purchase Alcohol in shops and bar/clubs?! Any place that are open til late in the early early hours?!

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
6,926 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Electronics/Nightlife

Here's some information on Whyte Ave:

virtualtourist.com/travel/North_America/Cana…

Coming from London, you'll probably find Edmonton a quaint small town kind of city and the nightlife options much, much, much more limiting than what you're used to. It's a different type of nightlife than the UK that's for sure. But as long as you appreciate the differences, you'll have fun :) I guess it would be like somebody from New York going to London, and then spending a few days in Coventry looking for party.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
6,926 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Electronics/Nightlife

that should say, looking *to* party.

Level Contributor
2,033 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Electronics/Nightlife

Manny

The contact info from the Bose site indicates Emersys is at 9110 51st Avenue, Edmonton, AB, T6E 5L8 and has a telephone number of 780-435-2883. The company (not just that location) is at www.emersys.ca with an email of contact@emersys.ca

Tax is Alberta will be only the GST 6%. Tax in Ontario will be the GST plus another 8% Provincial Sales Tax.

You'll want to look at the Inside page for Things to Do>Nightlife and Canada:For Foreign Visitors>Taxes and, if you're not already aware >Electricity at tripadvisor.com/Travel-g154914-s1/Edmonton:A…

Alberta
Level Contributor
61 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Electronics/Nightlife

You may want to check out a SEE or VUE magazine as soon as you arrive. They're free and you find them all over the city in cafes, and in boxes on the street. Good source for music venues, dance clubs, theatre, etc.

You can also check them out online:

http://www.seemagazine.com/Intro/index.html

http://www.vueweekly.com/

Hope you have a great trip. I myself am looking forward to coming to London in October!

London, England
Level Contributor
128 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Electronics/Nightlife

thanks guys for all your help!

One more thing. When looking to exchange currency, would it be better for me to do in a Canadian Bank when I arrive? Or before hand in the UK?

Some ppl have told me ill get a better rate in Canada. Does anyone know what the rate is now in Canada? If it is best to do it this way, what are commision costs etc.

thanks

Level Contributor
2,033 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Electronics/Nightlife

Manny

Regarding exchange rates, here's cash rates at one bank.

rbcroyalbank.com/RBC:Ro2MtI71JsUAF4AcyOQ/rat… At the bottom, it states a $3 flat fee per currency.

London, England
Level Contributor
128 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Electronics/Nightlife

great, many thanks! Are there many of these brances in edmonton?!

Level Contributor
2,033 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Electronics/Nightlife

RBC has 20 Edmonton branches. You can even map them at http://maps.rbc.com/index.en.asp