We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Stampede Nightlife

toronto
Level Contributor
53 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Stampede Nightlife

Hi,

I am coming to calgary for the beginning of the stampede. We arrive on July 6th, but i don't think the stampede starts until the 8th, and we are heading to edmonton on the 10th. I have heard that calgary nightlife during the stampede is crazy but will i miss out because i am only there for 2 nights that the stampede is going on?? What can i expect on the eve of stampede? thanks!

Calgary, Alberta...
Level Contributor
3,855 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Stampede Nightlife

LOL. I guess it depends which genre of music you prefer, Country or Western. (Insert wry smile.) Either way, there will be lots of it.

>>>will i miss out because i am only there for 2 nights that the stampede is going on??<<<

Are you kidding? It takes me a month to recover from the 10-day C&W overdose. (Insert another wry smile.)

No, seriously, 2 nights of Stampede sounds like the right amount of time to me.

Most people who work in downtown Calgary get the morning of the Stampede Parade off from work. Hence the Thursday night feels like a Friday night, only more so.

If you want to celebrate, just follow the line ups and the strains of C&W music to get into places like Cowboys (a nightclub whose ads state that it provides the most fun you can have with your boots on).

Oh yes, and when it comes to the What To Wear question, Stampede is all about denim.

Calgary
7 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Stampede Nightlife

the Night before the official opening of Stampede is "Sneak a peek" on the grounds. All the grounds are open and you can take in some of it early before the big event. While in the park look for "Nashville North." A large tent in the middle of the park with country music and good times flowing...I love that place! You can pretty much go anywhere for a good time, calgary's nightlife is great! Lots of free breakfasts and Patios to partake in! Have a great time

Calgary, Alberta
Level Contributor
377 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Stampede Nightlife

Trust me - 2 nights is tons! The party starts at least a week before with "pre-Stampede" functions and I think the pancake breakfasts started in early June last year. (They free and they're everywhere - hit at least one a day!)

Cowboys is fun for a a young crowd, but if you're over 25 and want to be around more people your own age, try Ranchman's on MacLeod Trail south. The taxi ride isn't that expensive from downtown, and I guarantee you'll have fun. You don't even have to go in - they have an outdoor patio!

Canada
Level Contributor
128 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Stampede Nightlife

I have to disagree.... Cowboys is a very young crowd throughout the year, but Stampede time it's a whole different ballgame. If you are here the first Friday of stampede you've got the best night going. Ranchman's is fabulous, but Cowboys is the place to be. Honestly though, don't make a night of it, you'll waste precious time.... plan the whole day. Line-ups start in the afternoon some places. You will never have so much fun as Stampede week in Calgary, I encourage everyone to go. However, if you're not a booze hound, 2 days is all you could do. It's a giant booze party (depending of course on what you choose to do.) You wil have a blast!! What can you expect?? Chaos, absolute chaos. It's great.

toronto
Level Contributor
53 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Stampede Nightlife

thanks everyone for your input. apparently, the first night is great to be out. but i have tickets to the grandstand show and the ticket says it doesn't end until midnight! I hope parties will just be getting started because i don't want to miss any night life the friday and saturday i am there!!

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
3,544 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Stampede Nightlife

Generally, the parties are starting about noon, right after the pancake breakfasts. You might want to head down to Cowboys for the afternoon, then go to the grounds for the Chuckwagons and Grandstand show staring at 8pm (leave Cowboys at 7pm).

I've never been able to last any longer than that, so I wouldn't be able to tell you what the party is like after midnight.

Calgary, Alberta
Level Contributor
377 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Stampede Nightlife

Last year when I was at Ranchmans during Stampede, last call (for alcohol) was at 1:30, and we went home around 2:00 because I thought that's when they closed... but they were still going strong and I seem to remember someone telling me that bars are open until about 3 or 4 am... they just can't serve alcohol after 2.