We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Jasper, Ice Fields, or Banff?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
194 posts
Save Topic
Jasper, Ice Fields, or Banff?

Thanks so much for everyone's help so far.

Our tickets are booked, and we have a place to stay in Calgary, and a backup RSVP near the Ice Fields.

I think the general plan is that Saturday-Tuesday we will spend in nature, then travel back to Calgary for Wednesday-Saturday.

The real question at this point is area is to stay from Saturday-Tuesday. Ideally, we would stay in one location all four days since packing, etc, with the kids becomes a bit tough.

Thoughts?

Thanks,

Josh

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
349 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Jasper, Ice Fields, or Banff?

I would say Banff... you can easily travel to the icefields and back from Banff on a day trip. Staying "at" the icefields doesn't make much sense... there's nothing there but a glacier.

From Banff you can also do a very short day trip to Lake Louise - maybe hike to the tea house? On a different day you could also take a few hour excursion from Banff to Sunshine Village to ride the gondola and do some higher elevation hiking....

Banff or Canmore would be the most logical place to stay for the nature part of your trip.

Edmonton, Canada
Destination Expert
for Edmonton, Yellowknife
Level Contributor
1,367 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Jasper, Ice Fields, or Banff?

We stayed at Castle Mountain in the winter and loved it. We had 1 son at the time and although the reviews mention a train, we found it to be quiet and out of the way. They offer cabin style accommodation and a kitchenette. It is about 15 - 20 minutes outside of Banff, but has a small onsite store.

http://castlemountain.com/index.php/gallery

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
20,661 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Jasper, Ice Fields, or Banff?

Note that the food services at the Columbia Icefields are very, very expensive. There is nothing else around other than the services there, for many kilometres in each direction.... 45 km north to Sunwapta Falls Lodge, which has a restaurant, or about 1/2 drive south to Saskatchewan Crossing, which has another horribly expensive restaurant.

Banff would make the most sense, I think. It has plenty of services, a large range of accommodation, townsite amusements, and lots of dining choices. You can do a day trip to the Columbia Icefields and enjoy some of the stops on the Icefields Parkway on the way, a day trip to Lake Louise, Moraine Lake, Johnston Canyon etc. And you may wish to take one day for Yoho National Park, which is an hour west of Banff.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
194 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Jasper, Ice Fields, or Banff?

Banff it is!

Calgary
Level Contributor
1,125 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Jasper, Ice Fields, or Banff?

And.... Unless you have a specific reason to be in Calgary.... That's a lot of time there. Its not a very exciting city for visitors ....

And I live here

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
20,661 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Jasper, Ice Fields, or Banff?

+1 to kottbullar's comments, about it being a lot of time for Calgary, although I realize from your other thread that you are coming during Stampede. To most visitors, Calgary is basically a gateway for the Rockies. I'm not a city person myself, so perhaps biased, but I find there is such a "sameness" to so many Canadian cities.

Kingston-upon-Hull...
Level Contributor
90 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Jasper, Ice Fields, or Banff?

Banff gets our vote! Agree with comments about the Icefields-scenic & impressive but nothing else there really>

Reckon,apart from Stampede activities,that one day,two at max-would see Calgary done. Different at Stampede weeks though.

Enjoy regardless- but Banff and that area are STUNNING!!!!!!!!!!

Kingston-upon-Hull...
Level Contributor
90 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Jasper, Ice Fields, or Banff?

Banff gets our vote! Agree with comments about the Icefields-scenic & impressive but nothing else there really>

Reckon,apart from Stampede activities,that one day,two at max-would see Calgary done. Different at Stampede weeks though.

Enjoy regardless- but Banff and that area are STUNNING!!!!!!!!!!

San Antonio, Texas
Destination Expert
for San Antonio
Level Contributor
2,263 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Jasper, Ice Fields, or Banff?

I would recommend Lake Louise, gives you a 1 jump ahead from those staying in Banff. Yes there is not a lot there, in the way of places to eat and stay. but its nice and quite after the day trippers form Banff leave. I agree that's at lot of time in Calgary. While I love the wagon races, 2 nights of races would be enough.

10. Re: Jasper, Ice Fields, or Banff?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, April 23, 2015