We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Looking for a great car rentals from the Airport

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
7 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Looking for a great car rentals from the Airport

Hey all,

I am travelling internationally to Canada in December. I am looking to rent a car from Calgary airport for 4 days and driving to Banff. I am looking at this website http://www.economycarrentals.com/ (This doesn't look like the same as the company with shocking reviews from here with a similar name.) I am just wondering if anyone has used them? They have great prices and look legit. Or is there any other companies people recommend?

Thanks

SE Ontario
Level Contributor
21,456 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Looking for a great car rentals from the Airport

This company is a third party agency ... they do not actually have cars.

They use the same rental companies that you can book with direct.

I'd pay close attention to the terms and conditions, concerning insurance, unlimited or limited mileage rates, surcharges, etc.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
7 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Looking for a great car rentals from the Airport

Oh okay, Yeah it seems their prices are ALOT cheaper than using the actual companies websites. But when it comes to booking hotels through a third party, its always cheaper.

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary
Level Contributor
26,336 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Looking for a great car rentals from the Airport

The best way to get a great car price on a rental in Calgary is to avoid picking up your rental at the airport. For just $8 (Calgary Transit Rte 300) or $15 (Allied Shuttle) or $40 (taxi), you can go pick up your rental downtown and save quite a bit. They may ask when you arrived in Calgary, and their contract will force them to charge you the airport rate if you say you landed at the airport in the last 24 hours.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
7 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Looking for a great car rentals from the Airport

Is that right? Why is that! How do you overcome these fees then? Just say I landed the other day or something?

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary
Level Contributor
26,336 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Looking for a great car rentals from the Airport

I don't recall the details right now, but it's not unusual for rental car companies with outlets at the airport to have contracts with the airport that determine their "airport" rental rate. It's akin, I think, to the way that some airports have a contract with a single taxi company so that only that taxi company can have a cab stand at the airport, but you can request any taxi company to come and pick you up from the airport.

I can't advise you to do something that you could feel to be immoral, but I would point out that there is little that they can do in the way of getting proof of when you arrived in the city. However, they are probably obliged to ask. Remember, as long as you don't provide payment information, you can use the booking tool to find out the prices without any risk.

Not all car rental companies have branches at the airport, and therefore no contractual obligations to the airport authority. Three that don't are Driving Force (a regional company with a good reputation), Discount (they have a shuttle bus from the airport to their location), and Rent-A-Wreck. There may be others, these are just the first ones that I found. Don't just assume their prices are better; I'm just giving you a rule of thumb that has worked for other travellers. Use the rental car companies' booking tools to compare prices to the on-airport and off-airport locations of the other rental companies.

Edited: 6:30 pm, April 05, 2014
SE Ontario
Level Contributor
21,456 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Looking for a great car rentals from the Airport

The one and only time (in over 20 years of traveling around Canada on business) I was ever asked that question at an off airport rental agency, I told them it was none of their business ... and that worked just fine for me. But if you don't want to say that, then just say a couple of days ago ... what do they know ... and you do not have to "prove" when you arrived ... it really is none of their business.

7. Re: Looking for a great car rentals from the Airport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:20 am, October 14, 2014
Canada
Level Contributor
9 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Looking for a great car rentals from the Airport

I rent cars quite often from the Hertz rental on Macleod Trail South because it's so much cheaper than renting from the airport. I just take the 300 bus from the airport to downtown, then connect onto the number 10 I believe and the bus stops a 2 min walk from the rental agency. Then when I'm done, I just drop the car off at the airport when I'm flying out and there's no extra charge for dropping it off at the airport. It's become my preferred method of renting cars in Calgary.

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
42,927 posts
826 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Looking for a great car rentals from the Airport

"...But when it comes to booking hotels through a third party, its always cheaper...." - Really? I find that it is actually very rarely the case. And most hotels have a lowest price guarantee on their website.

Penticton, Canada
Level Contributor
15,748 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Looking for a great car rentals from the Airport

"..........But when it comes to booking hotels through a third party, its always cheaper................."

that is not the case, hotels have matched the online price on quite a few of my bookings; what you need to look for is the cancellation policies.

the real cheap prices often have a no cancellation; no refund condition and pay now rather than pay after your stay.