We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

souvenirs in Calgary?

Which Calgary hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Cebu City...
Level Contributor
28 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
souvenirs in Calgary?

I am planning to buy some Chocolates in Calgary to bring back to the Philippines, Do you know a place in Calgary that was Good, But not so expensive chocolates?

Also What souvenirs should i give my friends that's something Canadian?

Is there a place in Calgary that sells spices for Culinary or cooking?

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
1,949 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: souvenirs in Calgary?

Calgary and cheap chocolates don't really go hand in hand haha. We have so many snobby stores specializing is stupid stuff in my opinion.

Saying that, we do have a few specialized mid-expensive chocolate stores local to Calgary....Bernard Callebaut (just bought by a big corp), Purdy's, and Papa Chocolates on the south Mcleod (over rated). We also have a Lindt Chocolate outlet which is kinda weird. Then we have all the typical really expensive chocolate stores in the malls...ie Godiva, Rocky Mountain, etc

Souvenirs are not big in Calgary...but in my opinion...Roots is a "Canadian" brand that is a good place to start. Hudson' Bay blankets and stuff is another one.

SE Ontario
Level Contributor
16,229 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: souvenirs in Calgary?

100% maple syrup is one of the great favorites for souvenirs ... however it won't be local to Calgary.

Anything cowboy related is usually a sure bet for a Calgary souvenir: hats, belts, boots, etc. Or something with a Mountie on it.

I'd pick Callebaut chocolates over Rocky Mountain any day.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
1,949 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: souvenirs in Calgary?

Yeah, in Calgary, Lammle's for country...but not really "Canadian" haha...more Calgary foothills;)

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary
Level Contributor
25,100 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: souvenirs in Calgary?

When I was at a Chapters/Indigo store yesterday, they were selling solar-powered waving Mounties as a novelty. Fun, but might not be what you're looking for.

I'd buy Purdy's chocolates (Vancouver-based chain, shops in almost every mall, more affordable than Callebaut), and some Callebaut chocolates for myself and perhaps some special friends. I wasn't impressed with Papa Chocolat when I tried them, but I've only been there once. If you're on a budget, Ganong is a Canadian chocolate & candy maker that can be found in grocery stores and drugstores. Does Sun-Rype still make those dried fruit bars? If so, that could be a good budget option too, since Sun-Rype is made with BC fruits (with a few exceptions). Look in grocery stores for them. You could also go to the grocery store or farmer's market and pick up some saskatoon berry jam, saskatoon berry syrup, saskatoon hot sauce (saw that in the Co-op the other day, deli section), saskatoon pie filling, or whatever else is on offer. You could also try the Crossroads Market or Calgary Farmers' Market, there are craft sellers there with stalls selling everything from home-made soap to custom-carved stamps.

seattle
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
18,530 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: souvenirs in Calgary?

Maple syrup is Canadian but its quite pricey. I suggest to visitors to buy an Inukshuk as it was the symbol of the Olympics in Vancouver and is a sign of friendship. You don't have to pay a lot. You will also see Jade from BC which is quite common. If you wanted to spend a lot then Ammolite is mined in Alberta.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
1,949 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: souvenirs in Calgary?

I agree country wife...Papa choc was a big let down for me.. he's just going off his previous name.

Calgary
Level Contributor
122 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: souvenirs in Calgary?

For chocolates, Choklat http://www.sochoklat.com/ in the Inglewood area is my new favourite in the city. It's the only chocolatier in Alberta that actually makes their own chocolate - as opposed to buying tons of bulk chocolate, melting it down, and dumping it into molds - like Bernard Callebaut and papa choc do.There is also a fantastic spice shop just a few doors down from Choklat called Silk Road Spice Merchants http://www.silkroadspices.ca/ . It's the only place I've found that has good quality Sri Lankan true cinnamon sticks at a respectable price.

Cebu City...
Level Contributor
28 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: souvenirs in Calgary?

Thank you so much for replying. I have listed what you guys have to say. You all have been so helpful. Thank you.

9. Re: souvenirs in Calgary?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:15 am, April 12, 2015