We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train to 2007 Calgary Stampede

Pulaski,PA
5 posts
Save Topic
Train to 2007 Calgary Stampede

My wife and I are interested in traveling by train to the 2007 Calgary Stampede. Our nearest point to Canada is across from Buffalo, N,Y or at Niagra Falls, Canada. Do you have any information on how we could do this?

Mentioned in this post
Calgary Stampede
Calgary Stampede
2,709 Reviews
Calgary, Canada
Canada
Canada
North America
Level Contributor
2,033 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Train to 2007 Calgary Stampede

In addition to Amtrak's site, you'll want to look at viarail.ca

I suspect you could take the train to Toronto, then switch trains and take the cross Canada train.

Note that there is NO Via Rail service to Calgary. You could go to Edmonton, then either take a bus (~3hrs) or fly south to Calgary.

Mentioned in this post
Toronto
Toronto
Ontario, Canada
Canada
Canada
North America
Calgary
Calgary
Alberta, Canada
Edmonton
Edmonton
Alberta, Canada
Calgary, Alberta...
Level Contributor
3,855 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Train to 2007 Calgary Stampede

Hello grellla,

There are limited ways for you to get to Calgary by train.

The only passenger rail service to Calgary is from Vancouver. Rocky Mountaineer offers a luxurious but expensive service. It takes 2 days to travel from Vancouver to Calgary. The train stops for the night in Kamloops, where passengers spend the night in local hotels. That means they get to see all of the scenery, including the Canadian Rockies in the vicinity of Lake Louise and Banff. That train departs three times a week.

You also could catch a train from Niagara to Toronto. In Toronto you could change trains and set out across the prairies, travelling through Winnipeg and Saskatoon. You could disembark from the train in Edmonton or Jasper, rent a car, and drive to Calgary. The train journey from Toronto to Jasper takes 2 days and 7 hours. That train, which is operated by VIA Rail, travels through the night.

Mentioned in this post
The Rocky Mountaineer
The Rocky Mountaineer
4,874 Reviews
Vancouver, Canada
Lake Louise
Lake Louise
5,380 Reviews
Lake Louise, Canada
Calgary
Calgary
Alberta, Canada
Vancouver
Vancouver
British Columbia, Canada
Kamloops
Kamloops
British Columbia, Canada
Banff
Banff
Banff National Park, Canada
Toronto
Toronto
Ontario, Canada
Winnipeg
Winnipeg
Manitoba, Canada
Saskatoon
Saskatoon
Saskatchewan, Canada
Edmonton
Edmonton
Alberta, Canada
Jasper
Jasper
Jasper National Park, Canada
Calgary, Alberta...
Level Contributor
3,855 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Train to 2007 Calgary Stampede

Hello ABtraveller,

I didn't see your message before I posted mine. Oh well, each of us gave grellla some information that the other didn't give, so I guess that increased the options.

Grellla, my website has information on Calgary, the Canadian Rockies and Vancouver, in case that would be helpful:

…msn.com/CalgaryandCanadianRockiesTravelTips

Mentioned in this post
Calgary
Calgary
Alberta, Canada
Vancouver
Vancouver
British Columbia, Canada
Pulaski,PA
5 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Train to 2007 Calgary Stampede

Thank you for the helpful information! grellla

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
5,617 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Train to 2007 Calgary Stampede

Is the option of driving completely out of the question? You may even save money and less hassle than to get to Niagara find a train, go to Toronto switch to another train, get to Edmonton find the airport of bus station and come to Calgary. Having family in Ontario I have drove the trip through the northern States several times and if is so much more convenient even renting a car to do so. I would assume that you would want to see some of the exciting stuff that surrounds Calgary as well and it is best to have a vehicle to do that.

Mentioned in this post
Toronto
Toronto
Ontario, Canada
Edmonton
Edmonton
Alberta, Canada
Calgary
Calgary
Alberta, Canada
6. Re: Train to 2007 Calgary Stampede

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:22 am, August 14, 2009