We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Expunged DUI - Can I enter Canada?

Rancho Cordova...
1 post
Save Topic
Expunged DUI - Can I enter Canada?

I had a DUI and Dry Reckless driving convictions in 2005. They are both expunged. Do I still have to go through the Canadian Rehabilitation Process to enter Canada or does the expungement cover that and I can just carry my papers to prove they are expunged. I am a flight attendant and this is important for my job.

Mentioned in this post
Canada
Canada
North America
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
15,181 posts
784 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Expunged DUI - Can I enter Canada?

Sounds like you will have to apply for rehabilitation:

cic.gc.ca/english/…5312E3

West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
78,931 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Expunged DUI - Can I enter Canada?

Welcome to TripAdvisor, GodzillaSAC;

I would suggest that you approach your airline. I'm sure that they have staff who can assist you, and your co-workers, through similar problems throughout the world.

Best Regards

3. Re: Expunged DUI - Can I enter Canada?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline with regards to harassment of another user. We will remove messages that include personal attacks or hostility directed at an individual user or group of users, threatening language or attempts to force a user to discontinue participation on our forums.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:40 am, August 13, 2015
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
15,181 posts
784 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Expunged DUI - Can I enter Canada?

Because the internet feels more anonymous....

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
19,703 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Expunged DUI - Can I enter Canada?

Since this is crucial for work just bite the bullet and submit the paperwork for rehabilitation. Since it's your only offence and it happened so long ago and the US has already expunged it the paperwork will be rubber stamped, no worries.

Good luck and congrats on the new job.

Cheers,

Terry

Seattle, Washington
8 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Expunged DUI - Can I enter Canada?

Section 15.2 of ENF2 Evaluating Inadmissibility, is clear about the manner in which American expungements are to be treated by Canadian immigration officials: they are considered "not a conviction". For this reason, anyone with an expunged DUI is admissible to Canada. Of course, the onus is on anyone traveling from USA to Canada to be able to prove to immigration officials at the border that they received a dismissal (aka bring the documents with you just in case).

Source: http://www.canadaduientrylaw.com

Mentioned in this post
Canada
Canada
North America
United States
United States
North America
7. Re: Expunged DUI - Can I enter Canada?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 12:27 am, September 23, 2014
Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
19,703 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Expunged DUI - Can I enter Canada?

Bob @ #6, the reason I suggested she go through the criminal rehabilitation paperwork is because she's not entering as a tourist, she's entering as part of her job and there's no way you ever want to leave anything to chance, especially with the CBSA.

It is not unheard of to have a criminal arrest on your record and the record of expungment never make it to the Canadian copy of the US database. So instead of always carrying around the expungment paperwork it's better to have the issue wiped completely from the Canadian database, especially when it involves work. It would be fairly embarrassing to be pulled aside while your co-workers breeze through and sit in arrivals waiting for CBSA to spit you out...

It's not an emergency issue that has to be completely immediately before she enters Canada, but the paperwork should be started so it's all a non issue a few months from now.

Cheers,

Terry

Mentioned in this post
Canada
Canada
North America
West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
78,931 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Expunged DUI - Can I enter Canada?

Old post from February. Hopefully the OP sorted this out many, many months ago.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
19,703 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Expunged DUI - Can I enter Canada?

I would hope so too, but when the discussion is restarted by someone it's good to follow through so when the thread comes up in a search all possibilities have been explored. In general this forum has a lot of inaccurate info regarding entering Canada with foreign legal issues.

Cheers,

Terry

Mentioned in this post
Canada
Canada
North America