We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How long to stay in Calgary for these 3 things

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
697 posts
42 reviews
Save Topic
How long to stay in Calgary for these 3 things

Hi

My husband, myself and 6 friends are travelling early June 2014 for an 8 day road trip. We were looking to try and do ziplining, summer dogsledding and bobsledding while in Calgary.

How much time would be needed to do these 3 things as we don't know how far away they are from each other or how much time we need to allocate to stay in Calgary.

We would appreciate any advice so we can plan our trip. We will no doubt have other questions as we work the rest of the trip out. The more we research the more we want to see and do!

Thanks in advance.

Jane

Mentioned in this post
Calgary
Calgary
Alberta, Canada
Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary
Level Contributor
26,693 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How long to stay in Calgary for these 3 things

The ziplining and bobsledding are both at Winsport's Canada Olympic Park, on the west edge of the city. Depending on the scheduling, I would guess half a day.

Some dogsled companies may offer summer (dryland) dogsled rides. However, the ones in the Calgary area do not. In summer, you can tour the kennels of Snowy Old Dogsleds: http://www.snowyowltours.com/?page_id=2768

The tour is 90 minutes, and it takes from 1-2 hours to get to Snowy Owl (located in Canmore) from Calgary, depending on traffic and where you're leaving from.

Mentioned in this post
Canada
Canada
North America
Calgary
Calgary
Alberta, Canada
Canmore
Canmore
Kananaskis Country, Canada
Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
2,564 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How long to stay in Calgary for these 3 things

It sounds like one night in Calgary would be enough. If you follow what country-wife suggests you could drive to Canmore and do the sledding then stay in Banff (or Canmore) for a couple of days...depending on what your plans are. I am assuming you'll probably want to go to Banff, Lake Louise and Jasper.

Mentioned in this post
Calgary
Calgary
Alberta, Canada
Canmore
Canmore
Banff
Banff
Banff National Park, Canada
Jasper
Jasper
Jasper National Park, Canada
Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
19,710 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How long to stay in Calgary for these 3 things

Who offers summer dog sledding? I know all the major mushers and as far as I'm aware none of them do this...

The bobsledding and ziplining can be done in couple of hour, no worries.

Cheers,

Terry

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary
Level Contributor
26,693 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How long to stay in Calgary for these 3 things

A quick web search shows folks in Alaska, NWT, and Churchill that offer summer dog cart rides. But I agree, as far as I know, no Alberta or BC operators offer it.

Mentioned in this post
Alberta
Alberta
Canada
Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
19,710 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How long to stay in Calgary for these 3 things

There's some (bad and boring and pointless) ones in the Yukon too, but when I said I know all the major mushers I was referring to the Calgary/Canmore/Banff/etc. area only. Sorry for any confusion.

Cheers,

Terry

Mentioned in this post
Calgary
Calgary
Alberta, Canada
Canmore
Canmore
Banff
Banff
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
697 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How long to stay in Calgary for these 3 things

Thanks everyone for your replies. Looks like we won't be doing the dog sledding then!

We heard that the ziplining is also available at Banff as well as Calgary. Would anyone know how the Calgary one compares?

To me it makes sense to do both at the same venue - sure cuts down on travelling time but if the Banff one is superior my husband would prefer that one.

Mentioned in this post
Banff
Banff
Calgary
Calgary
Alberta, Canada
7. Re: How long to stay in Calgary for these 3 things

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:21 am, October 25, 2014