We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hiring a car when under 25

Which Calgary hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Greenock, United...
Level Contributor
126 posts
91 reviews
Save Topic
Hiring a car when under 25

I plan to hire a car at Calgary Airport for two weeks from late July until early August next year. My problem is I will be one month short of my 24th Birthday at this time and there appears to be either an age restriction or hefty charge for young drivers.

Does anyone know which companies tend to allow young drivers from the UK to hire a car (I have currently been driving over 5 years and not had a crash) and if so which companies tend to be the cheapest for young drivers?

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
56,957 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hiring a car when under 25

Hi Ian ~

The rental car companies don't favour young drivers really. They're very competitive and you have to study what they offer and the prices to go with. I think you will find them pretty much the same, just with different presentations of rates and coverages. You are right, they either don't allow under 25s or they charge a surcharge. This is because that age group here statistically has the highest risk drivers.

What you might do it look at the UK company Canadian Affair to see what they might do for you. They do not charge a one way drop fee either.

www.canadianaffair.com

Newmarket, Canada
Level Contributor
1,877 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hiring a car when under 25

I'd also add that you should look at renting away from the Calgary airport. Regardless of age, it just costs a small fortune more to rent from YYC vs. picking up a car downtown. If you're having to pay under-25 surcharges in addition, that could make for a very expensive ride.

Greenock, United...
Level Contributor
126 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hiring a car when under 25

Thanks DCH_in_Canada for taking the time to reply. Canadian Affair have the flights that I have been looking at on their website so going with them is a possibility. I plan to start and finish my trip in Banff so the one-way drop off is not an issue. In Scotland the same logic generally applies to car insurance and hire cars but there are occasions when you can find a company who will not and a surcharge for "young drivers" and I was simply hoping to come across one on here and I've had no luck searching the web as yet.

Regarding picking up a car downtown I thought the cost of Calgary-Banff transfers would be equal or perhaps even greater than the saving by not using the airport rental offices? Do you think this is perhaps not the case?

Newmarket, Canada
Level Contributor
1,877 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hiring a car when under 25

I wasn't suggesting you take a transfer all the way to Banff to pick up your car, but rather just get a ride from the airport into the city (Calgary). The cost of the transfer to Banff will cost much more, and rental car selection will be more limited and likely more expensive than in Calgary. All of the major car rental agencies that you find at the airport have several locations in the city as well.

I'm sure the local Calgary experts here could suggest cheap methods by public transit to get downtown for very little money. When I've rented there, it's cost me about $40 for a taxi to get to a downtown Hertz location, and I saved several hundred dollars on the cost of the car rental. Well worth the $40 cab ride! If you're willing to take a bus, you can likely do it for even less. And you only need to do that one way. You can pick up in downtown Calgary but return the car right at the airport for no extra cost. The big fees are only when picking up at YYC, not when returning the car.

Greenock, United...
Level Contributor
126 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hiring a car when under 25

That is fantastic advice. The thought of picking up a car in Calgary city centre didn't cross my mind, I will most certainly look into this! Thanks a lot.

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
18,414 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hiring a car when under 25

Ian, I'm not sure if this applies to Calgary locations, but in some cities where there is a higher fee for an airport rental location, other locations may ask you if you have arrived on a flight in the last 24 hours, and if you answer that you have, they charge you the higher airport rate anyway. So (as always!) read the Terms & Conditions carefully when you book your car.

Canada
Level Contributor
1,863 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hiring a car when under 25

krp329 is correct in her post 6 comments. We have been asked, when renting from a downtown car rental agency location, about our arrival in Calgary. Don't be surprised by the question.

Edited: 2:01 pm, September 25, 2013
Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
15 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hiring a car when under 25

Hi Ian G, if you are still likely to see this post. I am also hunting for the same solution (especially having booked with www.usrentacar.co.uk last year and got a good young driver's package for the US).

Anyway, we are looking to hire a car from Vancouver Airport and drop off in banff 4 days later. Looking for a quote for 2 young drivers (24 and 22). Just wondering if you have stumbled across any useful finds. We can't cut our costs by hiring from downtown Vancouver because it is BC day when we are picking up our car and a lot of local rental locations are opening later that day, wheras we want an early start.

It seems a lot of companies will charge per young driver, per day (approx $50 for 2 therefore) plus charge the usual $10 for an additional driver.

Really hoping you can help enlighten me with a helpful website. Thanks in advance to anyone who can help.

SE Ontario
Level Contributor
17,614 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hiring a car when under 25

Check with Canadian Affair

http://www.canadianaffair.com/en/car-hire/

10. Re: Hiring a car when under 25

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 am, June 04, 2015