We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How much time to check-in at airport?

Which Calgary hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
471 posts
106 reviews
Save Topic
How much time to check-in at airport?

G'day. We will be returning a hire car at the airport before proceeding to check-in for a flight to the US. About how much time should we allow before the scheduled departure?

Many thanks

seattle
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
18,511 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How much time to check-in at airport?

since you go thru US Customs in Calgary they don't even want you more than 2 hrs ahead of your flight. If you allow 2 1/2 hrs to get airline check in then go thru customs you should be fine. Calgary airport has ltd services once you go thru US Customs so grab a snack before hand as the food choices once near the gate is very ltd. Beware of the speed traps approaching the airport

Calgary
Level Contributor
2 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How much time to check-in at airport?

I would agree with above however be warned that when travelling during the summer or the start of the long weekend the line up through the US Immigration could take longer so your 2.5 hours may not be sufficient.

Canada
Level Contributor
1,844 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How much time to check-in at airport?

Last time we left YYC, bound for the US, we were told that the time restriction on the entry to US customs ( 2 hours before flight time) had been lifted.

Wondering if our past travel was during a non-peak time and being the curious soul that I am, I just phoned the US Customs at YYC. (Amazingly, in this day and age you can speak to someone! )

As we had experienced earlier this year, there is NO LONGER a "two hour before flight" entry restriction to the US Border Services area--as just confirmed by the border agent I have spoken with.

As noted by davidmg: the food choices past US Customs are limited AND watch your speed in the construction zone leading to the airport.

Also, US Customs can be an absolute zoo as pointed out by beadharmony. I have seen it take people longer than the 2 hours suggested, depending upon the amount of US bound flights/time of year.

Edited: 3:39 pm, August 13, 2013
calgary
Level Contributor
3,938 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How much time to check-in at airport?

The busiest time for US bound flights is between 0600 and 1000, you will need more than two hours then. If your flight is later in the day, 2 to 2.5 hours should be enough time to get through Customs and Security; give yourself extra time to return your rental car.

5. Re: How much time to check-in at airport?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:18 am, August 15, 2014