We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Renting a car in Calgary

USA
Level Contributor
48 posts
53 reviews
Save Topic
Renting a car in Calgary

We will be flying into Calgary on August 30, staying for one night, renting a car, and driving to Canmore. Can someone tell me if there is a hotel with airport shuttle service near the car rental agencies downtown. I've heard that it is much cheaper to rent the car away from the airport. We would probably not get the car until the following day. Then how to get back to the airport on the return trip? Thanks for anyone's help. This all seems complicated.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
15,154 posts
767 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Renting a car in Calgary

You could do a quick check on Expedia and or Priceline to see if your theory on pricing is correct....

USA
Level Contributor
48 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Renting a car in Calgary

I already checked. The difference is huge, like $300 difference for a week's rental.

Alberta
Level Contributor
663 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Renting a car in Calgary

Check out Sheraton Cavalier on 32nd Avenue, Budget is walking distance.

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary
Level Contributor
25,579 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Renting a car in Calgary

Calgary Transit's Rte 300 is a shuttle between downtown and the airport; $8 if you board at the airport, $3 if you board anywhere else.

www.calgarytransit.com/route_maps/rte300.html

There is also Allied Shuttle, which is $15 per trip:

http://www.airportshuttlecalgary.ca/schedules

gxp
Niagara
Level Contributor
2,304 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Renting a car in Calgary

Check when you rent as you may be able to drop the car at the airport even if renting downtown.

USA
Level Contributor
48 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Renting a car in Calgary

Thanks for all of your suggestions. I will work on it.

Canada
Level Contributor
1,873 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Renting a car in Calgary

Did you check Expedia.ca? Thrifty is showing an airport pickup/dropoff for $254 for an economy car, your dates. Off airport is showing higher.

Newmarket, Canada
Level Contributor
1,921 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Renting a car in Calgary

Every time I rent a car in Calgary, I always return it to the airport when picking up downtown. There doesn't seem to be any additional cost (at least with Hertz) when dropping off at the airport. Just don't pick up at the airport!

USA
Level Contributor
48 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Renting a car in Calgary

I found a fantastic rate with Avis on Expedia.ca, at 1616 14th Avenue NW, almost $400 cheaper than renting at the airport. We will be staying at the Acclaim Hotel near the airport. Now must figure out how we will go from the hotel OR from the airport to Avis Rental Cars at the 14th Avenue address. Any suggestions?

Canada
Level Contributor
1,873 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Renting a car in Calgary

http://calgary.taxime.ca/

Above website says approx. $37.41 (yes approximately that amount...). It sounds about right to me as we used to send people from the area (hospital) to the airport for around $40ish.

Glad to hear you saved some money.

Be aware that you may be asked if you just flew into town.....my Other Half has been asked this at rental agencies downtown before, as have other people reportedly. This is a method to collect extra fees/taxes (as in airport rentals...).