We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Would we be crazy?

Glasgow
Level Contributor
303 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Would we be crazy?

Hi there,

We are currently in Banff having a wonderful holiday in the Canadian Rockies.

Our original itinerary included a day to visit the heritage park in Calgary which we thought by son would enjoy. Travel time was estimated at about 1 hour 20 minutes or so. Given the road conditions and the fact that the stampede is about to start would we be better to leave the park to a future trip?

Finally' my sympathy goes to all affected by the recent floods. We had floods a few years back in our part of Scotland and I know how devastating they can be.

Many thanks

Pinnochio

seattle
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
19,139 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Would we be crazy?

I think spending another day in the park would rate higher than a day driving to Heritage Park.

Western Canada
Level Contributor
1,007 posts
481 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Would we be crazy?

Heritage Park is a world class facility and a visit to it is a defining moment in the history of our province. Go for it!

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary
Level Contributor
25,890 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Would we be crazy?

If Heritage Park interests you, it is well worth a visit. (As you probably know, it was completely unaffected by recent flooding.) They do a great job there of showing & telling the story of the Canadian West, which is quite different from the story of the US Wild West. The antique midway is a unique attraction, with working carnival rides that date back to the 1920's and 1930's (NOT 1950's and 1960's, as one reviewer mistakenly wrote). The SS Moyie sternwheeler is a lovely boat cruise; that huge boat has a smaller draft than my sailboat, it can go in much closer to shore than I can. It will take at least 4 hours to see Heritage Park, but it would be better to plan a whole day. Buy a ride bracelet to get admission to the train, the boat ride, the wagon ride, and the midway all at one price. They're not just fun but a handy way to give your feet a rest.

If your main interest is history rather than a fun old-timey experience, I'd recommend starting in the pre-railway village (a spot that many visitors miss), where you will find the tipi village, missionary church, fur fort, and a number of log buildings. From there, you can walk through the farm / ranch area (don't miss the sod house!) to see the railway roundhouse and the famous main street with the Wainwright Hotel and the two-storey outhouse behind it.

I would guess about 90 minutes to get to Heritage Park from Banff. None of the areas that you drive through in Calgary to get there have been affected by the flooding, so you shouldn't have any delays for that reason. The quickest route is to take Sarcee Trail from the Trans-Canada Hwy. Here is the navigation from the west edge of the city to Heritage Park on Google Maps:

http://goo.gl/maps/xNhqm

There is a huge parking lot at Heritage Park, but if you park close to one of the trolley platforms, you can ride the antique trolley to & from the main entrance.

Edited: 9:21 am, July 05, 2013
Glasgow
Level Contributor
303 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Would we be crazy?

Thanks for your replies - and especially to you Calgary wife for your information and route map. We are thoroughly enjoying Banff but thought that the Heritage Park would make an interesting and informative contrast. It certainly sounds a first class facility!

Many thanks,

Pinnochio

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
315 posts
763 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Would we be crazy?

2nd or third do it from me - gives a great feel for proud Canadian heritage, a truly great day out. The traffic really won't be an issue, don't stress it and enjoy the trip. if you want to make it more scenic you could go through Kananaskis and Hiwood Pass on your way there or back and come into town from the South, will add an hour to your one way journey but great views.

Rob

Glasgow
Level Contributor
303 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Would we be crazy?

Just a quick e-mail to confirm that we visited the heritage Park today and had a really good time - well worth the journey and an interesting contrast to the attractions of Banff. Many thanks for your kind advice!

Pinnochio

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary
Level Contributor
25,890 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Would we be crazy?

So glad to hear you enjoyed your visit!

Western Canada
Level Contributor
1,007 posts
481 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Would we be crazy?

It would have given you a different perspective on how Alberta was developed in the last 100 years. We are not quite as old as your heritage. I am really glad you enjoyed your visit! I hope to visit Glasgow in the spring of 2014. My father was born in Hamilton, Scotland.

Dean in Red Deer

Edited: 11:48 am, July 06, 2013
Glasgow
Level Contributor
303 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Would we be crazy?

We really had a good day and could have spent more time in the park. The various houses and buildings were extremely interesting but my personal favourites were the antique midway rides. We are now up in Jasper for a couple of nights before heading back down the Parkway and onwards to Vancouver.

Dean in Red Deer - happy to advise on any tips for your trip to Glasgow next year. Hopefully you'll be there for the Commonwealth games!

Thanks again,

Pinnochio

Western Canada
Level Contributor
1,007 posts
481 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Would we be crazy?

Thanks for your offer of advice re Glasgow!

Enjoy Jasper. In my opinion Jasper is about 20 years behind Banff in development while Waterton in Southern Alberta is 50 years behind. Both are Alberta's best kept secrets!

Dean in Red Deer, AB