We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Food: Calgary Stampede, must have recommendations?

Englewood, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,756 posts
82 reviews
Save Topic
Food: Calgary Stampede, must have recommendations?

Will be visiting and attending the Calgary Stampede. Any recommendations for "must try, not to miss" foods? Something unique to the Stampede?

Mentioned in this post
Calgary Stampede
Calgary Stampede
2,711 Reviews
Calgary, Canada
Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary
Level Contributor
26,709 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Food: Calgary Stampede, must have recommendations?

Well, it's fair food, so anything on a stick goes. There's usually an article or a promotional bit on the news a week or two before the Stampede about what will be new this year; the Stampede do make an effort to seek out the new & unusual, like deep fried Coke or deep fried ice cream or pizza on a stick. I'll try to pass on anything I hear about on this thread.

I either get a cheap meal at Weadickville (next to the north entrance) or eat in the basement of the Big 4 building, where various community groups serve ethnic food, like Ukrainian perogies & sausages. There are also a few places down there that are licenced, so you can have a beer too. Lunch time can be very busy, so I try to eat it early (before 11:30) or late (after 1:30). But my addiction is the ubiquitous little donuts.

Edited: 3:10 pm, June 05, 2013
calgary
Level Contributor
5,302 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Food: Calgary Stampede, must have recommendations?

Hey Country Wife - you must have been sleeping a couple of weeks ago because the new "food" items were published. Hopefully the attached link will work. After reading the list, I hope the Stampede has placed a whole bunch of defibralators around the park :-) Deep fried butter and bubble gum - what will they think of next!!!!

…calgarystampede.com/2013/…

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary
Level Contributor
26,709 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Food: Calgary Stampede, must have recommendations?

Thanks, I missed that!

calgary
Level Contributor
154 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Food: Calgary Stampede, must have recommendations?

Alberta beef. the best in the world.

Mentioned in this post
Alberta
Alberta
Canada
Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary
Level Contributor
26,709 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Food: Calgary Stampede, must have recommendations?

True! You can start your food planning now, the map of all the food locations on the grounds is on the Stampede's website:

cs.calgarystampede.com/info/general/maps.html

This page also has a separate map showing only foods that are new for this Stampede.

If you're into local cuisine, I see that Mott's is going to have a "Clamato Caesar House" on the main floor of the BMO Centre. The Caesar is considered Canada's unofficial cocktail, and was invented in Calgary in the 1960's, at the hotel which is now the Calgary Westin.

Mentioned in this post
Calgary
Calgary
Alberta, Canada
calgary
Level Contributor
154 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Food: Calgary Stampede, must have recommendations?

the harvey wallbanger also was invemted in Calgary at Alberta distillers ltd

Mentioned in this post
Calgary
Calgary
Alberta, Canada
Alberta
Alberta
Canada
7. Re: Food: Calgary Stampede, must have recommendations?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, June 17, 2014