We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

calgary good and bad neighbourhoods

Which Calgary hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
new zealand
2 posts
Save Topic
calgary good and bad neighbourhoods

i am from new zealand and will be moving to calgary soon.

What are the good and bad neighbourhoods to stay in?

Calgary, Alberta...
Level Contributor
3,855 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
41. Re: calgary good and bad neighbourhoods

Hello leavingWR,

>>>>>>My husband has recently been transferred to Calgary. We are coming out for a house-hunting trip during the first week of May. We have 2 kids (a five year old and a 1 year old) and are wondering which neighborhoods are green and kid friendly.<<<<<<

Calgary has no neighbourhoods that are green by BC standards.

>>>>>> We took a look in March and many of the newer neighborhoods seemed to have houses on small lots with little or no landscaping.<<<<<<

Quite.

>>>>>> Ideally we would like a nice quiet street in an area with a decent sized lot with some trees (we're coming from White Rock BC).<<<<<<

Although I live in the SW quadrant myself, I like the NW quadrant, around Dalhousie. That neck of the woods is sufficiently established that the trees have had a chance to grow.

>>>>>>My husband's workplace is in the NE (near the airport). Would Airdrie or Okotoks be reasonable places?<<<<<<

I know people who live in Airdrie and like it, but it doesn't do anything for me. There are remarks about Airdrie earlier in this thread.

>>>>>>Could one commute from the SW?<<<<<<

In theory, yes. But it would make for a longer commute, and I don't think it would be as convenient for your husband as the NW would be.

>>>>>>What are are Airdrie and Okotoks like? How are they for schools and recreation?<<<<<<

Some people like Okotoks very much. But Okotoks is well to the south of the city, and it too would make for a fairly long commute for your husband.

Note that Airdrie and Okotoks also are experiencing building booms. So the new neighbourhoods on the edges of those towns are like Calgary, in that the brand new houses don't have established yards.

Airdrie and Okotoks are in different school districts from Calgary and from each other. From what I've heard, their schools and recreational facilities are fine.

I don't know what your price range is, so it's difficult for me to know what to suggest. As I said before, I like the NW quadrant of Calgary, not the newest neighbourhoods right on the edge of the city, but the more established ones like University Heights, Varsity Acres, Brentwood, Dalhousie.

There also are some quite pleasant neighbourhoods in the "North Central" part of Calgary. I'm thinking of communities like Sandstone. Some of them now are old enough that they too are taking on quite an established appearance. From your husband's point of view, they would be even more conveniently located.

Hope that helps.

Calgary, Canada
2 posts
Save Reply
42. Re: calgary good and bad neighbourhoods

Thanks so much for all of the information!

Calgary
1 post
Save Reply
43. Re: calgary good and bad neighbourhoods

hi,

I've seen lots of disscussion about Calgary's different districts, but only one post about living in area's aroud the city. Places like Cochrane, Airdre, Okotok's and the like. What I was wondering was about Strathmore.

Is Strathmore a good communting place for somebody, such as myself, who will be working in the NE? Is it a nice place to live?

Thanks

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
5,617 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
44. Re: calgary good and bad neighbourhoods

Hi Duncan ~> Do you live in Calgary? If so you should take a drive out there. I actually like all those places you mentioned including Strathmore. My big thing is that I grew up in a small community and I'm no longer into it due to having a business and enjoying a bitter fast paced lifestyle. When I'm done work I want to be home within a reasonable time limit.

Yes, if you work in the NE Strathmore is closer. The only concern I would have is winter driving and that end of town is building up quite a bit with commuting traffic. I guess it would depend on when you're really doing the bulk of your driving and the time you want to spend on the road each day just to get to and from work. With the growing population on the outskirts of the city in the bedroom communities I think it's only going to get tougher for commuters.

Take a drive out there if you live in Calgary and time the distance and then add to that time traffic backups and consider yourself doing that every day, twice.

halifax, nova scotia
1 post
Save Reply
45. Re: calgary good and bad neighbourhoods

I was wondering what anyone could tell me about living on Doverglen Cres. in the SE or in Acadia. Are these good/safe areas to live?

46. Re: calgary good and bad neighbourhoods

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

We're sorry - the TripAdvisor staff closed this topic because TripAdvisor does not facilitate discussions about relocation or real estate purchases because these topics are not considered to be travel-related.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:49 am, October 17, 2006