We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Whistle stop tour of the Rockies - need some advice!

Which Calgary hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
12 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Whistle stop tour of the Rockies - need some advice!

My husband and I are travelling to Calgary for a work trip in May and we will have a few days (18th - 20th May) to explore the rockies. I know that this is far to short, but a quick visit is better than no visit at all! Can anyone make recommendations for good places to stay and which attractions we should prioritise? We had thought of staying in Banff - are there any other suggestions? I'm particularly interested in the wildlife and the mountain views. We'll be flying in from South Africa (nice long flight!) and need to get back into Calgary on the Monday for work purposes. Any tips would be most welcome!

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
12 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Whistle stop tour of the Rockies - need some advice!

Also, is there snow around at this time of year? I've got no idea what to pack!!

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
18,414 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Whistle stop tour of the Rockies - need some advice!

That is a holiday weekend here (Victoria Day on Monday), so will be a busy weekend in the national parks resort towns - definitely a must to book accommodation in advance. Since you don't have much time, I agree with what you suggested (staying in Banff) - ideally, you would have a car and be able to tour for the day to some of the following - the Bow Valley Parkway & Johnston Canyon, Lake Louise, Emerald Lake (in Yoho National Park). The Moraine Lake Road and the Yoho Valley Road (Takakkaw Falls) may not yet be open for the season. If you don't have a car, you can get some ideas of what to do in this "Car Free in Banff" article: tripadvisor.ca/Travel-g154911-c155456/Banff:…

There will still be snow at higher elevations, but not a problem for general sightseeing, other than the closed roads mentioned above. But it can be warm (heat wave now... forecasted to be 25 in Banff tomorrow) - average daily high for now is 14C, and low is 0C. The best thing to do is pack clothing you can layer, with a wind/water proof jacket for the top, and then just adjust layers as necessary for whatever the weather does.

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary
Level Contributor
25,386 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Whistle stop tour of the Rockies - need some advice!

Definitely book your accommodations ASAP, and reconfirm them shortly before your departure, since every campsite and room is usually full on this long weekend in the Rockies.

For ideas on what to see in Banff and the rest of the Rockies, have a look at this TripAdvisor Traveller Article that lists the "must-sees" of the area:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g659487-c112507/Canad…

Traveller Articles are written by TA members like you and me, in response to popular forum questions.

4. Re: Whistle stop tour of the Rockies - need some advice!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, May 07, 2014