We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What are the key differences in road rules?

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
506 posts
135 reviews
Save Topic
What are the key differences in road rules?

Two facts: (1) You guys drive primarily drive on the other side of the road to us Aussies. (2) We are hiring a vehicle in Canada.

What are the key differences in road rules for us to be aware of?

Many thanks

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
6,858 posts
Save Reply
11. Re: What are the key differences in road rules?

Alas, "right of way" is not the same as "right to run down" -- in any pedestrian/automobile collision in Alberta (and Ontario), the driver is presumed to be at fault, but can make a case otherwise based on unreasonable behaviour by the pedestrian: duhaime.org/LegalResources/TrafficLaw/LawArt… . So it's more than just paperwork!

J&W
Calgary AB
Level Contributor
623 posts
183 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: What are the key differences in road rules?

In Calgary there big white "X" on the road at some intersections, they represent an invisible vehicle, do not stop on one when waiting for a light to change.

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
19,295 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: What are the key differences in road rules?

I have a friend who is a driver examiner here in Alberta. One thing I was not aware of until recently is that it's an automatic "fail" in a driver's test to stop to allow pedestrians to cross at a non-crosswalk or if not at an intersection, unless the driver has to in order to avoid hitting them. Here in Jasper, pedestrians will often stand on the median between intersections (and not at a crosswalk), waiting for a break in the traffic to jaywalk across, and many drivers are in the habit of just stopping to let them go. But according to my friend, this could create an unsafe situation and he is required to fail anyone who does this during their driving exam. Of course, if the pedestrian is jaywalking and just steps out in front of the driver, they have to stop to avoid hitting them.

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary
Level Contributor
26,031 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: What are the key differences in road rules?

Very interesting! Thanks for passing that along, Krp.

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
6,355 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: What are the key differences in road rules?

Interesting. So perhaps it's also an "automatic fail" if drivers stop for a cyclist waiting to cross a road - a cyclist astride a bike and on the side road, and therefore considered a vehicle, that is. (Drivers are always stopping for me, and I just wave them on - it goofs up the timing when an opening behind them disappears because of that.)

For the OP: Cyclists standing beside the bike are "pedestrians", they have right of way at crosswalks. Cyclists *on* their bike are "vehicles" and have no special right of way.

In practice, cyclists break every rule in the book, including common sense. Don't trust 'em. Especially, look *both* ways before entering a one-way street.

We've probably gone beyond the "key" differences now, but what the heck...

Canada
Level Contributor
1,895 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: What are the key differences in road rules?

Can I just add that, in Calgary at least, the "Don't Walk" signal for pedestrians seemingly means nothing. This is something to look out for if driving downtown in particular and is a "bit of an issue".

SE Ontario
Level Contributor
20,096 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: What are the key differences in road rules?

Most Calgarians don't know how to properly merge onto a road either ...partly I expect because the merge lanes are so short.

Western Canada
Level Contributor
1,018 posts
495 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: What are the key differences in road rules?

If you are at an intersection and going to turn left or right, a pedestrian that is in the crosswalk has the right of way. If they are coming toward you, let them pass in front of you. Once they have cleared you then you can turn behind them. There is a $675 fine for turning across an occupied crosswalk. If they are on the far side of the crosswalk coming towards you, they still have the right of way even if they are some distance off.

19. Re: What are the key differences in road rules?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, April 23, 2014