We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Update on Customs procedures returning to US from Calgary

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
16 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Update on Customs procedures returning to US from Calgary

I'm confused. Can someone help me understand what to expect? Is there pre-clearance for customs in Calgary before returning to the US, or will we go through Customs when we land in Atlanta? Anyone have a suggestion as how much time to allow in Calgary if we go through Customs there? I haven't been able to find a definitive answer for this. Thanks.

Canada
Level Contributor
4,967 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Update on Customs procedures returning to US from Calgary

Yes there is. When you land in Calgary you do Canadian immigration, collect your bags and pass through customs.

Then you head over to the US departure zone. If you have already checked in for your Atlanta flight and have boarding passes, then you just need to clear US immigration and customs. Put your bags onto a luggage belt and then go through security again before heading to the departure gate.

Depends on the time of day - but I would say at the least 1.5 hour, but 2+ would be much more comfortable.

Canada
Level Contributor
4,967 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Update on Customs procedures returning to US from Calgary

OK I just re-read that and you're not connecting in Calgary, but leaving from Calgary. Sorry.

Yes you pre-clear in Calgary. You need a good couple of hours to check in and clear US formalities. The lines for Immigration can be long and slow.

After you have checked in you take your bags with you, do Immigration, Customs, put your bags on the belt, security and then you're ready for departure.

seattle
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
19,215 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Update on Customs procedures returning to US from Calgary

I do this a lot. You go thru US Customa in Calgary. They want you there no more than 2 hrs before your flight. If its an early morning flight that tends to be the busiest, however it quiets down during the day. Once you go thru Customs you go thru security and to your gate. There isn't much to do inside the gate area so I don't like to get there too early. If you grab a US customs form coming into Calgary you can have one filled out before you leave so that will save you some time.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
129 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Update on Customs procedures returning to US from Calgary

compared to other airports Calgary is extremely QUICK and Efficient.

all tickets are printed with 2 hours for US and international flights.

you'll go through extremly quick and be waiting on the other side for 1.5 hours.

if you are not at 8am. then just do 1.5 hours

calgary
Level Contributor
4,599 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Update on Customs procedures returning to US from Calgary

I have been at the Calgary airport 2.5 hours prior my flight and nearly missed the flight due to the backlog at US Customs and with the budget cutbacks, it will only get worse. I would never leave just 1.5 hours to clear, would rather have extra time on the other side, then miss a flight.

Orangeville, Canada
4 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Update on Customs procedures returning to US from Calgary

I'm travelling Toronto/Calgary/Los Angeles on WestJet. Arrive Calgary 9:19am and depart for LA 10:25am. Does this give me enough time to go through customs, security, etc?

Orangeville, Canada
4 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Update on Customs procedures returning to US from Calgary

I'm travelling Toronto/Calgary/Los Angeles by WestJet. Arrive Calgary 9:19am, leave for LA at 10:25am. Do I have enough time for customs/security?

calgary
Level Contributor
4,599 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Update on Customs procedures returning to US from Calgary

Since the entire flight is booked through Westjet, I'm guessing they figure it to be a legal connection time. That time of day should not be a problem.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
6,858 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Update on Customs procedures returning to US from Calgary

Legal connection times are a bit of a balance -- the same minimum time applies to everyone, from people needing mobility assistance to frequent travellers with NEXUS cards and no checked bags. Personally 66 minutes sounds tight for a typical traveller whenever US CBP is involved, but sounds like you've already booked so the only advice is not to dawdle until you reach the US-bound gate area. As mentioned, WestJet will put you on the next available flight if you miss a legal connection.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
315 posts
768 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Update on Customs procedures returning to US from Calgary

That time of day you should be just fine, its only the pre 8 am flights that have big delays, other times a 5-10 min wait max is normal at both customs and security - I travel to the US every couple of weeks at various times.

Rob