We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Calgary and the Stampede

Which Calgary hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
sydney
Level Contributor
84 posts
Save Topic
Calgary and the Stampede

Hi Everyone,

I am after some advice, my wife and I are travelling with my 3 year old son to NYC and Toronto and we are planning on adding the Stampede to the trip.

We are planning on two full days at the stampede, one for the rodeo and one for the chuck wagon races, plus time to look around at as fast or slow a pace as our son allows for.

Stampede wise I have got great informatino from other posts so I only have one question. Both my wife and I are photographers and want to be close enough to capture some of the action, can anyone please advise where would be the best spot in the grandstand or infield to get ticket for?

In general what else should be spend some time doing in Calgary? We thought about a trip out to Banff/Lake Louise but feel that it is probably going to be very boring for our son as we would be doing the photography thing so we might leave that for another trip.

Any advice would be great

Cheers

Aaron

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary
Level Contributor
25,318 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Calgary and the Stampede

I wish i could answer your question about photography at the Stampede Grandstand events, but I don't know. Hopefully some other TA members can give you some tips.

In the past, I believe some people have noted that the standing-room "rush" tickets put you right at the rail beside the track, which is no doubt exciting and might be good for chuckwagon race photos. There are also some good photos on the Calgary Stampede's listing that might give you some tips by means of "reverse engineering".

For the rodeo, I suspect the best photos are from those expensive infield seats.

I'll have to think about suggestions for activities that your son might enjoy; it's been quite a while since I had kids that small.

Edited: 9:20 pm, January 24, 2013
sydney
Level Contributor
84 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Calgary and the Stampede

Thanks Country_Wife,

I will take a look and see. Im not so worried about the cost of tickets - its a once in a life time trip so can justify it :)

sydney
Level Contributor
84 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Calgary and the Stampede

Oh I also forgot to ask, what would any recommendations on accomodations be?

Ideally we would try and get a 2 bedroom with a kitchen, depending on how long we would be staying for outside of the Stampede.

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary
Level Contributor
25,318 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Calgary and the Stampede

My first recommendation would be to book accommodations ASAP, if you haven't done so. In the past, things have started to fill up in February.

For suite-type accommodations, some folks like the International Hotel in downtown Calgary - not too far from the C-Train (tram), which is the best way to get to & from the Stampede grounds. (Parking is quite limited, at least compared to demand.) The Sheraton Eau Claire has suites and also gets good reviews for their family accommodations, and the outdoor playground near Barclay Parade / Eau Claire Market is right across the street. Prince's Island Park is just a short walk away. However, since I live here, I can't make any first-hand recommendations. Staybridge Suites, in the NE, may also suit you, but the location isn't as convenient to the Stampede grounds. However, they are just a few C-Train stops away from the Calgary Zoo and the Telus Spark science museum (which includes the Creative Kids' Museum, very popular with toddlers and the K-3 age group), so that could also be a plus. Telus Spark gets a lot of poor reviews, but parents of younger kids seem to be much more positive about it.

sydney
Level Contributor
84 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Calgary and the Stampede

Hi Country Wife,

This year has unfortunately been postponed, however dates for next years stampede have been locked in ;-)

I will leave research for a while now and come back to it later in the year.

Thanks again for all your help

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary
Level Contributor
25,318 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Calgary and the Stampede

Just FYI, Grandstand tickets go on sale at the start of October. :-)

7. Re: Calgary and the Stampede

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 am, February 22, 2014