We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel time to airport.

Which Calgary hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
32 posts
Save Topic
Travel time to airport.

Which hotel has a short travel time to the airport? We stayed at the Hilton last year and it took 3x as long to get there then previous years.

Ottawa, ON
Level Contributor
2,346 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel time to airport.

Certainly the Delta at the airport is the correct answer, but perhaps you didn`t ask the question you meant to ask.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
32 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel time to airport.

Correct, I meant up to 4-5 km away from airport.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
19,606 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travel time to airport.

Within 4 - 5 km of the airport it doesn't really matter where you stay, even in rush hour it'll be a very short commute.

By the way, outside of rush hour it's amazing how fast you can still get to the airport right from downtown... during rush hour it's a whole different story, of course...

Departure/Arrival times are critical when trying to beat the traffic.

Cheers,

Terry

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary
Level Contributor
25,197 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travel time to airport.

The closest hotels are the Delta Airport, followed by the Acclaim and Best Western Freeport. The hotels to the south of the airport (Best Western Port O'Call, Hilton Garden Inn, Sheraton Cavalier, etc.) are all under a disadvantage because the construction of a new runway has temporarily removed the Barlow Trail connection. But it's only temporary - when the runway construction is complete in 2014, Barlow Trail will return and include a tunnel under the new runway.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
3 posts
415 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travel time to airport.

Try staying at one of the new hotels north if the airport on/off Barlow. Jus south of country hills drive.

You'd be under 10 min for sure. Maybe even around 5 min

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary
Level Contributor
25,197 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Travel time to airport.

Note that the Residence Inn and Courtyard Calgary Airport, the two newest airport hotels, are south of the airport. I believe Brett is thinking of the Acclaim and Best Western Freeport, which are to the north and are also fairly new.

Calgary
Level Contributor
1,312 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Travel time to airport.

CW -

Isn't Barlow Tr north of McKnight gone forever?

I thought the new runway was a 'north-south' runway, that basically is where Barlow Tr USED to be, and the new tunnel going under the runway is actually 96th Ave runnin east-west under the north-south runway.

check it out, and correct me if I'm wrong.....

T

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary
Level Contributor
25,197 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Travel time to airport.

Thanks very much for pointing that out, Troy! I'm not as familiar with the NE as I'd like to be. And you're correct. According to the City of Calgary, the road that goes under the new runway will be an extension of Airport Trail (aka 96th Ave N, at least when it's on the west side of Deerfoot Trail):

calgary.ca/Transportation/TI/Pages/Road-proj…

So Metis Trail will replace Barlow Trail as the main north-south route on the east side of the airport (a little further to the east than Barlow was), but commuters won't have to go all the way north to Country Hills Blvd and then back south again (to go around the new runway) in order to get from the south side of the airport to the terminal.

So completion of the new Airport Trail extension will reduce the driving time from the south airport hotels to the terminal, but since Barlow Trail was a shorter route, the drive will probably never be as quick as it was before the construction.

Edited: 4:03 pm, January 09, 2013
Caglary
2 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Travel time to airport.

It depends on what your doing with your time here. There is a hotel right at the airport and another new one just a couple of blocks away. All the the old airport hotels are farther now. Since they closed the main access road. Vehicles have no choice but to spend 15 - 20 mins in traffic now. Outside of rush hour, downtown hotels are only about 20mins to the airport. For an extra 5 mins of travel time you can have more to do while your in calgary. Like i said, it all really depends on what your doing in Calgary.

10. Re: Travel time to airport.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 am, February 20, 2014