We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

U.S. Thanksgiving in Calgary???

Which Calgary hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Rexburg, Idaho
1 post
Save Topic
U.S. Thanksgiving in Calgary???

Hi folks,

So my family and I are contemplating a trip up to Calgary in a month. We live in little, old Rexburg, Idaho, about 11 hours south of Calgary. Having never visited Calgary, we thought it might be fun and adventurous to celebrate a Yank Thanksgiving in Canada from Nov. 21-24. I'm sure this isn't enough time to truly explore all the diverse offerings Calgary has to offer, but we thought we'd give it a shot! Being completely unfamiliar with Calgary, any suggestions or ideas for three Yanks looking to celebrate their version of thanksgiving in Calgary would be greatly appreciated.

P.S. It'll just be me and my parents. Ages 25, 60, & 68. Thanks so much!

1. Re: U.S. Thanksgiving in Calgary???

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 8:05 am, October 22, 2012
Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary
Level Contributor
25,100 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: U.S. Thanksgiving in Calgary???

Welcome to TripAdvisor, eXCell1st! I'm afraid your first discovery will be why Canadians don't celebrate Thanksgiving in November; harvest festivals just don't ring true when it's winter outside.

But there's still lots to see in Calgary and area. Here's a quick list:

Indoor 2-acre Devonian Gardens downtown and +15 System of heated above ground skywalks connecting most downtown buildings

Glenbow Museum downtown

Calgary Tower and Sky 360 revolving restaurant at the top (if you make a restaurant reservation, you don't have to pay for the elevator ride up)

Gasoline Alley automotive museum at Heritage Park in SW Calgary

Shopping in downtown core, Chinook Centre, and (weather permitting) popular shopping neighborhoods like Kensington, Inglewood, and Uptown 17 (17th Ave south of downtown)

Canada's Sports Hall of Fame at Canada Olympic Park, on the west edge of the city, and the bobsleigh/luge track and ski jump there. You could probably get in some easy skiing there, if you're interested. If you're looking for something more thrilling, you can ride a bobsleigh or take the zipline from the top of the 90-meter ski jump.

And of course you should try to get out to spend a day in Banff, 1.5 hours west of Calgary, road & weather conditions permitting. You may even be able to try some early-season skiing, with any luck.

Edited: 11:24 am, October 22, 2012
Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
3 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: U.S. Thanksgiving in Calgary???

Hey, I live downtown Calgary.

It's a great place to shop and visit.

If its shopping you want then you will want to checkout

Chinook mall or Cross Iron Mills mall.

Places to see, Calgary Tower to get great shots of Calgary and they have a 360 degree restaurant if you guys stay at the Sandman downtown, the train is right at your doorstep with Moxies restaurant on the first floor and the train just outside to get you everywhere.

A definite place is Banff, it's about a 90 mins drive but you'll

have an amazing drive there and great photo ops.

Hope you guys come and have a great time.

Too bad NHL out but by then the Calgary Flames may be playing.

Catching a game is pretty cheap.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
24,198 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: U.S. Thanksgiving in Calgary???

I'm sure you'll be able to find a lovely dinner to celebrate your Thanksgiving, and the larger hotels will hopefully make an effort to recognize their American guests on the menu, but otherwise, its just another day in paradise and you won't find any of the Thanksgiving things you find in the US at that time of year.

I'd second the suggestion to head to Banff, if only for the day if you can't arrange an overnight. Its a beautiful drive and even if its too cold to get out of the car, you would really enjoy it.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
54,838 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: U.S. Thanksgiving in Calgary???

American Thanksgiving will be a regular day in Canada, because we don't as a country celebrate American holidays. But you might have a look on the following website for American expats living in Calgary to see what they are doing. It contains a blog and a forum so you may find some information that would help you with your day. You might even be able to search for Thanksgiving dinner.

expat-blog.com/en/…

Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
2,564 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: U.S. Thanksgiving in Calgary???

Both of the Thursday Thanksgiving NFL games will be shown on TV. All pubs and bars will televise them as will the regular TV in your hotel room.

7. Re: U.S. Thanksgiving in Calgary???

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:16 am, November 02, 2013