We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Moving to Calgary in May!

toronto
2 posts
Save Topic
Moving to Calgary in May!

Hello,

I’m moving to Calgary in second week of May. I’ll be driving from Toronto to Calgary (any advice or suggestion in this regard also will be highly appreciated).

My main concern is after I get there. Since I don’t know anyone in Calgary, I’m thinking of staying in a B&B or a motel for the first week or so while I’m looking for an apartment. I would like to live in safe and nice neighborhood and the amount of the rent is not much an issue. Since I drive, I don’t need to be VERY close to downtown or transit system but close enough that if I decide not to take the car, I wouldn’t be in trouble.

I got a little bit familiar with the quadrants and some neighborhoods from what’s posted on this website and my own researches but still not sure where I should start. So, my questions are:

1. Which part of the city (of course in SW, NW) I should look for a B&B to be close to library, shopping, …or if you know of some, please let me know?

2. Which neighborhoods, I should look for an apartment to rent with the same criteria as above?

Thanks,

hbn921

Calgary, Alberta...
Level Contributor
3,855 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Moving to Calgary in May!

>>>>>> Which part of the city (of course in SW, NW) I should look for a B&B to be close to library, shopping, …or if you know of some, please let me know?<<<<<<

Lions Park B&B, which is in the NW, would fit your criteria. However, while a B&B includes breakfast in its rate, it doesn’t include dinner in its rate, and it doesn’t include cooking facilities. So I think you would be better off looking for a suite hotel downtown or in the NW or SW quadrant. Just do a Google search for SUITE HOTEL + CALGARY, and some names will come up. You also could do a Google search for FURNISHED APARTMENT or SELF CATERING APARTMENT or EXECUTIVE SUITE. However, many of those types of places have a minimum one-month stay.

>>>>>>Which neighborhoods, I should look for an apartment to rent with the same criteria as above?<<<<<

In the SW, I would recommend Bankview and South Calgary. They are relatively close to downtown, but not right downtown. Also, they are close to the shops, restaurants and other facilities in the Marda Loop area.

In the NW, I would recommend Hillhurst and Sunnyside, just across the Bow River from downtown. If you cannot find any vacancies there, or if they are too expensive, you could expand your search to include the areas around the Market Mall and Northland Village shopping centres. You could look for properties in Varsity Village, Varsity Acres, Dalhousie, and around there.

If you expanded your search to include townhouses as well as apartments, you might find a larger range from which to choose.

Good luck with your move to Calgary.

toronto
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Moving to Calgary in May!

Thanks Judy. the information you provided is very helpful, I appreciate that.

hbn921- from Toronto