We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How to by,pass Calgary

Which Calgary hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Virden, Mb.
Level Contributor
134 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
How to by,pass Calgary

What is the best way to get past Calgary heading east from Canmore to Regina etc.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
19,623 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How to by,pass Calgary

In my opinion it's just as fast - if not faster - to simply hit it outside of rush hour.

The Trans Canada moves very well if the traffic isn't heavy, you're through the city in no time.

Cheers,

Terry

Virden, Mb.
Level Contributor
134 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How to by,pass Calgary

Thanks. What time would avoid rush 9am??

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
19,623 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How to by,pass Calgary

After 9:00am would be fine... or super early. It's a loooong drive to Regina...

Cheers,

Terry

Virden, Mb.
Level Contributor
134 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How to by,pass Calgary

Actually Manitoba-bound Thanks

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
19,623 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How to by,pass Calgary

Even worse, haha...

Cheers,

Terry

J&W
Calgary AB
Level Contributor
585 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How to by,pass Calgary

I would take Stoney Trail #201. It does loop a ways north but it is 100KM or 110 KM per hour. Rush hour does not really stop anymore.

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary
Level Contributor
25,210 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How to by,pass Calgary

If it does look like you'll hit Calgary during rush hour, you could try using Stoney Trail; I don't think it's affected by rush hour very much. However, it's a fair deviation from the straight route, and you won't find it easy to get food or fuel from Stoney Trail as there are no helpful signs along the road there (great navigational signs, but no tourist information-type signs).

Here's that route on Google Maps: http://goo.gl/maps/C414Z

Ottawa, ON
Level Contributor
2,352 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How to by,pass Calgary

If you want to avoid the TCH through Calgary, I'd suggest exiting at the Sarcee Trail on to the Glenmore, south on the Deerfoot to X22, then east on the X22, which becomes the 901, rejoining the TCH near Gleichen.

I've used the X22/901 when my relatives lived in south west Calgary - never experienced much traffic.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
2,880 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How to by,pass Calgary

As the above the posts indicate you basically have 3 options.

Taking the #1 hwy (aka 16th Ave.) through the city during non-rush hour traffic is option one. As Terry already indicated, if it's after 9 am it should be fine. I live not far from 16th Ave, and I find that at that time of the morning heading east on that route (as you will be doing) the traffic should not be too terrible. Of course, there are lights along 16th Ave., so you will have to account for that.

That being said, your other two options are to completely by-pass the city altogether, either via Stoney Trail (as CW suggested) or via 22X/901 (as ronw suggested).

I find that traffic moves very fast and smoothly along Stoney Trail, however as mentioned you will be adding some distance if you take this way because you will be heading a bit north for some of the route. That being said,. it will likley be faster than taking 16th Ave.as there aren't any lights to contend with, and the speed limit is higher.

22X/901 is your other option, but again you will add some distance to your trip (the 22X runs north/ourth and the 901 runs east/ west).

Basically in a nutshell it depends on whether you really want to bypass the city or not, but that will definitely add to the distance that you travel. Then again, the lack of traffic lights might make bypassing the city more desirable to you.

IMHO if you are coming through the city after 9 am traffic shouldn't be much of an issue, but it's really up to you. Of course there is always traffic in the city, whether its rush hour or not.

Edited: 4:03 pm, September 18, 2012
Virden, Mb.
Level Contributor
134 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: How to by,pass Calgary

no better;.the best thing to come from Sask.----an empty bus