We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best time to visit Banff

Vancouver
3 posts
Save Topic
Best time to visit Banff

Hi all,

We are going to visit Banff this summer, and wondering when is the best time to be there. Any recommendation would be highly appreciated!

We will be driving from Vancouver, and won't be doing much hiking or other adventures, since there are a senior couple with us. We are trying to avoid the peak season as well if there are really too many tourists at that time.

My preference would be the end of July, but that might be the peak season, which is not really good.

Thanks a lot in advance for all your replies.

David

Calgary, Alberta...
Level Contributor
3,855 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best time to visit Banff

Hello David,

If you can manage to get away then, the latter half of June is the best time IMO. The month of September also is good. These are the times when the mountain lakes are thawed, so you can see them at their turquoise best, and yet the mountain resort towns are not as crowded as they are in July and August.

That said, you can still have a great time in the mountains in July and August. True, Banff townsite and a few of the most popular lookout points are crowded. You can avoid that situation to some extent by staying in Lake Louise instead of Banff townsite.

What I'm saying is go in the latter half of June if you can, but don't fret if you can only get to the mountains in July.

My website has suggested itineraries and, in the TIPS section, practical information about the mountains.

…msn.com/CalgaryandCanadianRockiesTravelTips

Hope that helps.

Vancouver
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Best time to visit Banff

Hi Judy,

Thank you very much for your kind reply. Your information is really helpful.

BTW, in your opinion, where are the "must see" places in Banff although I know they are all very beautiful? I thought they are Jasper icefield and lake louise. Anywhere else?

Thanks a lot.

David

Calgary, Alberta...
Level Contributor
3,855 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best time to visit Banff

>>>>>>BTW, in your opinion, where are the "must see" places in Banff although I know they are all very beautiful? I thought they are Jasper icefield and lake louise. Anywhere else?<<<<<<

In my previous post I provided you with a link to my website. In the Rockies section of that website, I have posted a page with my personal "Top Ten" list in the mountain national parks. I should emphasize that that particular Top Ten list includes places that you can reach without hiking. If you're willing and able to hike, you can reach even more stupendous places. However, you've already indicated that your party will be limited as to the hikes it will be able to undertake. Don't worry. Even by driving and going a short, easy little walks, you'll be able to see fabulous scenery. The Columbia Icefields do not make it onto my personal Top Ten list, although they are very interesting, and I do consider the ride in the Snocoach onto the Athabasca Glacier to be worthwhile. Anyway, here is that page I was talking about:

…msn.com/CalgaryandCanadianRockiesTravelTips…

Vancouver
3 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Best time to visit Banff

Thanks a lot Judy.

David