We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need a hotel at the University

Vancouver
11 posts
Save Topic
Need a hotel at the University

I will be training at the oval at U. of Calgary. But the Hotel Alma is sold out which is a 2 minute walk. They say they are the only hotel near by or else it is Motel Village district. Am I best to just stay in the City Centre and commute from there or stay elsewhere?

Any help would be great. Not worried about the price of places, just want easy access.

Thanks

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary
Level Contributor
26,218 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need a hotel at the University

No question that the Motel Village hotels would be the next closest. They are a mixed bag. The one that was the biggest blot on the area was bulldozed a few months ago and a new Holiday Inn will be built there. Check out the reviews for the Hampton Inn & Suites By Hilton Calgary- University Northwest and Best Western Village Park Inn to see if they might suit you.

Downtown is also an option, but you might also look into English Bed, Breakfast and Day Spa which gets good reviews and isn't far from the Dalhousie CTrain (tram) station. Blackmore's Bed and Breakfast is also fairly close to the Dalhousie CTrain station; although they have been operating for a few years, they are a new listing on TA and don't have any reviews yet. Along River Ridge B&B is located in Montgomery and is a quick commute to the University if you have your own car; otherwise, it's an uphill bike ride on the notorious Home Road hill (although I believe you start halfway up the hill, which helps).

Finally, if you do have a car (or you don't mind cycling the entire aforementioned hill), Centro Motel and the newly-renovated Days Inn Calgary Northwest (formerly Econolodge Causeway Bay) are both on the Trans-Canada Hwy a very short commute to the University. Again, check the reviews to see if they might suit you. A little further west on the Trans-Canada (right next to Winsport Canada Olympic Park) you will find Sandman Calgary West and Four Points by Sheraton Calgary West, which would also be good places to stay if you have a car.

Edited: 9:29 am, August 20, 2012
Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary
Level Contributor
26,218 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need a hotel at the University

If you are considering driving to the University, the cheapest parking on campus is in the $5 per entry lots; luckily, there are several of these near the Oval. The most expensive parking is the underground parking in the loop next to MacEwan Hall - also very close to the Oval.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
2,881 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need a hotel at the University

CW is giving you some great advice (as usual).

I just wanted to add that since you indicate price is not an issue, then staying downtown and simply hopping a C-train to the University might be the desirable choice for you. Generally the downtown hotels are nicer than the ones in motel village, and the C-train service from DT to the University is pretty efficient. If you chose to stay downtown you may want to choose a place such as the Marriott on 9th Ave SE or the Hyatt on Centre St & 7th Ave SW, as both are close to the C-train route (which runs along 7th Ave SE/SW downtown). I have not stayed at either hotel personally, but have had friends/colleagues who have stayed at these two hotels, and they have told me that both places were quite nice.

marriott.com/hotels/…

…hyatt.com/hyatt/hotels-calgary/index.jsp…

Edited: 5:02 pm, August 20, 2012
Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary
Level Contributor
26,218 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need a hotel at the University

If I recall correctly, the Hyatt is where William & Kate stayed when they were here for Stampede 2011.

Of course, if the sky's the limit, Le Germain Hotel Calgary isn't supposed to be too shabby either. ;-) Also very close to the downtown C-Train.

Blind Bay, BC
Level Contributor
1,002 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Need a hotel at the University

This B&B looks quite close to the university :

http://www.bbcanada.com/3061.html

Here's another :

http://www.bbcanada.com/3686.html

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary
Level Contributor
26,218 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Need a hotel at the University

Suiteasitgets, I mentioned both those B&Bs, plus a few more, in my initial respose. Thanks for including the links to BBCanada's website! I was hoping the autolinks would work, but no such luck. :(

Along River Ridge Bed & Breakfast has reviews on TA:

tripadvisor.ca/Hotel_Review-g154913-d186199-…

Edited: 7:29 pm, August 20, 2012
Blind Bay, BC
Level Contributor
1,002 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Need a hotel at the University

Sorry CW I should of read your post a bit more thoroughly.. whoops!

8. Re: Need a hotel at the University

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:15 am, August 22, 2013