We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving in Canada with an Australian license?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
91 posts
Save Topic
Driving in Canada with an Australian license?

Hi,

I want to know if I can rent a car in Canada and drive with my Australian license? Sorry if this question has been asked but just want to make sure.

Also, other than driving on different side of the road, what other differences are there in regards to rules? Give way signs, round-about etc.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
15,154 posts
767 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving in Canada with an Australian license?

Found this article, it may be of some help...

canaussie.com/articles/transit-a-transport/d…

Penticton, Canada
Level Contributor
13,800 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving in Canada with an Australian license?

Hi

1. Best to check with your car hire company.

2. if you google "road signs Canada" you can look for the one that are different.

unofficial rule for British Columbia and Alberta - the left lane is not used for passing/fast lane only -even with "keep right except to pass" sign is posted. be aware that everyone may pass on your right side (passenger side).

turning left from a two way street onto a one way street is permissible and expected.

in residential areas not all 4 way intersections have stop signs - so be careful you may not have the right of way.

speed limits are usually exceeded by 10 km/hr ; speed between 10kph up to 20kph over - you are taking your chances.

over 20 kmp guaranteed a ticket and over 40 or 50kph car gets impounded.

we have dimmed day time driving lights in the front that come on automatically. so at dust make sure you turn your lights on.

round abouts are relatively new and nobody know how to use them !!!! so be careful when entering.

and, buy your own GPS; load North American maps from their web site before you leave- TomTom has a good deal on maps and works well. GPS rental is not a good deal.

Penticton, Canada
Level Contributor
13,800 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving in Canada with an Australian license?

hi again

I got an international Driving permit when I went to Europe just in case; I never had to use it but it was good insurance for "just in case" .

Details here for aussie version http://www.aaa.asn.au/touring/idp.htm

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary
Level Contributor
25,703 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving in Canada with an Australian license?

"Traffic tips" booklet from the City of Calgary has images of signs and a ton of details on everything from four way stops to turning right on red.

calgary.ca/Transportation/Roads/Documents/Tr…

West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
73,552 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving in Canada with an Australian license?

Hi Aaron;

For your valid driver’s license to be accepted in Canada, it must be in one of Canada’s two official languages, English or French. No need for an international license.

Best Regards

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
58,407 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Driving in Canada with an Australian license?

My understanding of the need for an International Driver's Licence is to make sure it is translated into the destination country's language. As we speak English here and you do there, it would be unnecessary. The licence would have to show valid dates, of course. Quite a different scenario if an Aussie is travelling to Asia, for example.

Although, with fair dinkum, kangaroos in the top paddock and away with the pixies, I may have to take all that back!!!

Greater Sydney...
Level Contributor
16,669 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Driving in Canada with an Australian license?

G'day Aaron,

Your NSW license is all you will need, mate. You certainly don't need an International Driving Permit as pointed out by RT and Mufti.

Mufti, I think you are a sandwich short of a picnic with your last paragraph. :)

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
58,407 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Driving in Canada with an Australian license?

I'm glad I had an ice pack handy, Frommy my friend.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
91 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Driving in Canada with an Australian license?

Thank you guys for the helpful information! I'll have a read on the road signs now, hopefully there's not much difference other than driving on the other side of the road.

Greater Sydney...
Level Contributor
16,669 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Driving in Canada with an Australian license?

G'day again,

After driving for over 40 years here in Oz I did not have too much problem on the 'wrong' side of the road for my first experience. The main problem I had was walking up to the car with keys in hand only to find that there was no steering wheel there! Admittedly I only drove from Jasper to Golden, where I found that I had lost my wallet, and our Calgary resident daughter would not let me drive after that as it is an offence not to have your license on you there, just as it is here.

Although daughter then did the driving, I got the impression that driving in central Vancouver is not unlike in central Sydney, and I hate driving in Sydney. Luckily you do not need a car to get around Vancouver. We only drove it to our accommodation as our daughter was going to drive it back to Calgary after we left.

A few months ago I rented a car in Denver and drove it up into the Colorado Rocky Mountains National Park (which is not a patch on the Canadian Rockies BTW). Denver took a bit of concentration, hitting it in peak hour on our return, but we were on major roads and it was not too bad.

Through BC and in Alberta there are not many roads that you could go wrong on. I don't know if you are renting in Calgary or not but if so just head for a major route to Banff and you will be OK. The wonderful Country_Wife has put together route instructions to get from the airport to Banff which is one of the Top Questions at the top right of screen on this Calgary forum.

Happy planning for a great trip.