We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

4h30 layover in Calgary: what to do

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
2,124 posts
184 reviews
Save Topic
4h30 layover in Calgary: what to do

Hello,

I will be arriving to XCalgary on Wed Sept 5th at 12:20PM, and departing at 5PM. Both are short domestic flights.

Would I have time to visit the city? If so what should I do? I might have the option to change my flight to have a shorter delay in Calgary but before I do that I want to consider a potential quick sighseing, if something can be done in such a short timeframe. Bags will be checked all the way through, though.

Thanks!

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
2,880 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 4h30 layover in Calgary: what to do

Honestly, that's a pretty short time-frame. Even if you have short dometic flights and the baggage is not an issue, you will still be expected to be back at the airport by 3:30 or 4 at the latest in order to go through security and board the plane by 4:30 pm, since boarding time is usually a half hour prior to takeoff.

The airport is kind of far from the downtown core of the city, so I don't know that it would be feasible for you to head downtown with such a short period of time. And downtown would be where you would likley want to spend your time sightseeing.

You could check out the Calgary Aero Space Museum I suppose, or possibly Cross Iron Mills Mall for some shopping, as those places are closer to YYC but I don't think either of these places is worth the layover really.

If I was you, I would shorten the layover and plan to do some sightseeing in Calgary when you have more time. If you do this, ensure that you plan to spend some extra time in the Rocky Mountains too visiting places such as Banff, Lake Louise and Jasper.

Edited: 4:53 pm, August 16, 2012
Edmonton, Canada
Destination Expert
for Edmonton, Yellowknife
Level Contributor
1,343 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 4h30 layover in Calgary: what to do

The only thing that comes to me is a walk on Nosehill. Gorgeous place with terrific views, close to the airport.

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary
Level Contributor
25,557 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 4h30 layover in Calgary: what to do

Nose Hill also has people who are interested in chatting with you, at least during Stampede Week:

news.nationalpost.com/2012/08/09/walt-wawra/

Note that it's not unusual for complete strangers to say "hi" to you when you pass each other while walking on city pathways like those in Nose Hill.

Look at the reviews for Nose Hill Park and if it interests you, then go and get some fresh air, stretch your legs, and forget about civilization for a while.

Edited: 6:57 pm, August 16, 2012
4. Re: 4h30 layover in Calgary: what to do

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:17 pm, August 20, 2013