We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Prices

Which Calgary hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
16 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Prices

Howdy All, I am former Calgarian who is coming back for a bit of western hospitality and as much steak as I can pack in. Since it's been awile since I was in town and I am based in the UK now, I was wondering if someone would be kind enough to help me budget by letting me know the approximate costs of a few things! How much are - a pint of Big Rock Downtown / south Macleod Trail. A burger at Moxies (or similar) and at Harveys, a 500ml bottle of Coke, A sirloin steak at the Keg, and a litre of gas.

I don't need exact numbers and feel free to err on the side of over! Thanks!

Calgary, Alberta...
Level Contributor
3,855 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Prices

For a beer in a restaurant or bar, I think you're maybe looking at C$6. A burger would be in the C$6 - C$8 range. A 500 ml bottle of Coke would cost around C$1.25. A sirloin steak at the Keg goes for around C$17 (but it's quite easy to spend up to C$25 on a steak, depending on the cut, the size and the establishment). The price of gasoline is hovering around C$1 / litre in my neighbourhood at the moment.

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Waterton Lakes National Park, Nelson
Level Contributor
2,676 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Prices

I just can't imagine not having Alberta beef whenever I wanted it, that must really bite! (Or for that matter, a cold glass of Grasshopper!)

I would caution that the burger at Moxies (or another restaurant of that caliber) will be closer to C$9 with fries or salad. Harvey's would definitely be in the C$6 range (including fries or rings).

If you will be in the Macleod south area, you might want to check out Dixon's Pub. While they do serve some "UK" style food - like fish n chips and (GAG!) haggis, (which I'm sure they do better back home!), they have really good steaks and burgers and lots of good appetizers on their menu as well. It has a sports bar sort of atmosphere, and it is always busy. They are directly north of the Midnapore Mall.

One other thing - if you are looking for a great steak on Macleod Trail south, check out Wellington's. Their food (and service) is absolutely amazing! Their prices are in the same range as the Keg (C$25 for a great steak) but it is so much better than the Keg. While reservations are not required, I would recommend you do that if you are going there on a Friday or Saturday. They are (I think) one block south of Southland Drive, on Bonaventure.

Welcome back! (in advance!)

Vancouver BC
Level Contributor
185 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Prices

... and of course you can't come back to Calgary without a burger at Peter's drive-in!! Brave the construction on 16th because it is still worth it.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
16 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Prices

Thanks for the advice - I think I'll avoid the british food, I can get it here. I am looking forward too much to stuffing down as much beef and Big Rock as I can in 2 weeks! By the way, the best drive in I have found is the Hitchin Post in High River, their burgers are to die for - no dodgy milkshakes from there either!

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
2,676 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Prices

lol.... as a matter of fact, I dined at the Hitchin Post this afternoon... mmmmmm.....

Good call on the British food, that was actually what I was trying to say when I told you about Dixon's, I'm sure you don't want the same thing you can get at home. I just meant that they have some good "Canadian" fare on their menu, too.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
16 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Prices

I'm jealous Nanton Girl - I grew up in High River, so I am a loyal patron of the HP Burger. I think I recall you from a previous post knowing about the wonderful restaurants and nightlife (sans Gateway) in High River, any big surprises?

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
2,676 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Prices

Well, I take it you know then that the Gateway is no more. It sure looks strange to drive down Centre and see a big open space where it used to be. And it definitely didn't take any time at all for them to clear out the rubble.

There's no night club at the Heritage anymore, either. It's still a tavern, of sorts but there's no music or dance floor. I think they brought in the VLT's, if I remember correctly. I haven't been there in a long time.

The Road House is still going strong, of course. And the B**f and Brew has expanded their lounge to about double the original size.... There's a neat little pub downtown called Dudley's that we stop in at occasionally, nice atmosphere.

Nothing really exciting to report, I'm sure you still have friends and/or family there who keep you in the loop anyway, you might know more than I do about what's going on there!