We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

heads up about Budget car rental at the Calgary airport

Which Calgary hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
72 posts
292 reviews
Save Topic
heads up about Budget car rental at the Calgary airport

After phoning directly to the Calgary airport rental and being assured that there would be no charge for taking the car out of Alberta into BC for 4 days don't believe them.

It is $10 a day for taking any of their cars into BC.

We also had to wait with a line of people for our car....so 1/2 hour later....we got our rental. I have never ever waited for a rental car. This car was booked in Feb. so they knew we were coming, as I'm sure the other people in line had also booked theirs in advance. We felt that this was not acceptable.

We were not impressed with this agency.

West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
71,095 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: heads up about Budget car rental at the Calgary airport

>>"After phoning directly to the Calgary airport rental and being assured that there would be no charge for taking the car out of Alberta into BC for 4 days don't believe them."<<

Hi Misty58;

What does your rental agreement say about leaving the province ?

Best Regards

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
54,716 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: heads up about Budget car rental at the Calgary airport

Misty ~

Are you saying that you discovered this out of province charge after arriving at the counter to pick up your car? And after a wait in a line up. I could find absolutely no reference to an out of province daily charge in the online Budget YYC location reservation process. So phoning them was the only way to find out.

To do your research and make your plans, then show up to find the real T&Cs of the rental agreement at the last minute when you are a "captive" customer is very frustrating. You would expect them to tell you the truth over the phone so that your time is not wasted and you would not find yourself in a forced choice situation at the counter.

3. Re: heads up about Budget car rental at the Calgary airport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 12:13 pm, August 15, 2012
Edited: 12:13 pm, August 15, 2012
4. Re: heads up about Budget car rental at the Calgary airport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 12:13 pm, August 15, 2012
Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
54,716 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: heads up about Budget car rental at the Calgary airport

<<I noticed that the previous damages all had dots near them>>

What kinds of dots and did you put them there?

My question about these damage charges by Budget is are they recurring charges, renter after renter. Do they ever take the money they collect and actually apply it to getting the repairs done. So many people talk about noting existing damage when in fact the cars should be in pristine condition.

Hull
Level Contributor
773 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: heads up about Budget car rental at the Calgary airport

Spot on Mufti!

That's what I've always thought.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
2,880 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: heads up about Budget car rental at the Calgary airport

Unfortunately lots of rental car agencies pull this "out of province charge", not just Budget. But with some sweet talking you can usually get it waived in my experience.

As for renting from the airport, whether its YVR or YYC, the cars are more expensive and there is a lineup usually. You are better off picking up at another location away from the airport, if possible.

Edited: 5:45 pm, August 13, 2012
Newtown, PA
Level Contributor
3,329 posts
366 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: heads up about Budget car rental at the Calgary airport

We rented an SUV from Budget downtown and it was one of the best experiences we ever had with a rental. Paid $580 total for 14 days and were given a newer Dodge Journey in great shape that had lots of room. The service when getting the car was also excellent. We spent 5 nights in BC and even told the girl our plans before departing.

W T
Dallas, Texas
1 post
Save Reply
9. Re: heads up about Budget car rental at the Calgary airport

We tried to rent a van from Budget rental car. Our plane arrived late from an international flight where we put our flight number on our rental car reservation. They only held the van for 30 minutes from the time I specified we would arrive. They gave it away to another customer who wanted a van that waited the 30 minutes from the time I had indicated we would pick up the van. They only had a 5 passenger vehicle to offer us to rent upon arrival. We had 6 people along with luggage for 6 people.

If you are thinking of renting a van, try Thrifty at the YYC counter. They do not have the $10 CAD charge to go to BC. And, they had unlimited mileage along with a better price than Budget. Thankfully. It was going to be a rough start to a wonderful vacation if Thrifty had not been able to provide us with a van.

A 30 minute hold time for a rental vehicle at an airport location is ridiculous. Budget needs to include this information in their rental agreement. You cannot call from the airplane once you know what time you will arrive from a flight. And, they should expect you may run later than 30 minutes from an international flight between luggage, customs, and visiting a different airport. They definitely should at least check if your flight had landed on time if you made a reservation and hold the vehicle for 30 minutes from the time your plane actually lands if you provide Budget with flight information.

shangrila
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: heads up about Budget car rental at the Calgary airport

We rented from Routes about 15 minutes drive from the airport. We called them beforehand and they sent an SUV to pick us up and a mini-van to drop us off. Price was many hundreds of dollars cheaper (2 week rental) than renting from the airport (not just taxes but basic price too) and service was first rate. Highly recommended. NO British Columbia surcharge nonsense either.