We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

re; feedback on proposed itinerary for Calgary/Banff

Level Contributor
5 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
re; feedback on proposed itinerary for Calgary/Banff

We are flying into Calgary in early August. We have set aside 9 days to see Banff/Lake Louise and Jasper. I have trying to figure out how many days in each location. We are committed to being in Banff at the end of our trip for 3 days.

We are traveling with friends who like a mix of city and nature. This is what I am thinking and I would love some feedback on our itinerary

;

Calgary downtown, 2 days- Just to get a feel for the city. (Our friends are thinking of staying in Vancouver and meeting us in Jasper. We thought we might like to see Calgary because we have been to Vancouver three times.) Are there things to see and do in Calgary?

1 day-Stay at Fairmont Lake Louise or Lake Moraine.

2 days Stay in Jasper

4 nights Stay at Fairmont Banff Springs

We all love to hike and we all love nature. I can't wait to go.

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary
Level Contributor
26,037 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: re; feedback on proposed itinerary for Calgary/Banff

The major attractions in Calgary are the Calgary Zoo (including the Canadian Wilds, an exhibit of wildlife from Canada, which could be interesting to see before your trip to the Rockies); Heritage Park, a large living history museum/village, with interpreters in historic costume; and the Glenbow Museum, which has the excellent interactive Mavericks exhibit on Alberta history.

Aside from those big draws, we have large natural urban parks, from Nose Hill in the north to Fish Creek Provincial park in the south; an extensive system of bike pathways that go along the Bow River and Elbow River and feather out into the surrounding areas; lots of interesting public art located downtown, on the University of Calgary campus, and on 4th St SW; and many different shopping & dining areas, such as Kensington, the Mission District, and Marda Loop.

canada
Level Contributor
156 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: re; feedback on proposed itinerary for Calgary/Banff

I think your itinerary sounds great - there is a lot more to do in Banff than in Jasper so your timeline is good. In addition to the above excellent suggestions, in August there is also usually quite a bit happening in downtown Calgary in the Price's Island / Eau Claire area (a huge river park with a gorgeous mix of city & manicured nature at once) with outdoor festivals etc so you will definitely find enjoyable things to do.

3. Re: re; feedback on proposed itinerary for Calgary/Banff

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:15 am, June 29, 2013