We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

camping in calgary during stampede

Which Calgary hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
California
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Topic
camping in calgary during stampede

Coming up from Ca to visit Banff and the Calgary Stampede. Budget trip so I am looking for a campground in or around Calgary for three days during the Stampede suitable for tent camping. Found Calgary West and Mountain View online but they appear to be set up for RV camping. Are these the best options or are there any alternative campgrounds that I should be looking at?

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary
Level Contributor
25,318 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: camping in calgary during stampede

Welcome to the TripAdvisor forums, Swimmer! Are you planning to visit this summer or next summer? I ask because if it is this summer, you'd better book your campsite NOW!

The nearest campgrounds to Calgary (Calgary West, Mountain View, Calaway Park, Whispering Spruce) all are RV-oriented, but I think they will also take tents. Some of these campgrounds also run a shuttle to and from the Stampede grounds as part of their Stampede amenities; check with each one to confirm that, though.

Going a little further afield, there is Bow River's Edge in Cochrane (again, primarily RV sites), and Anderson Valley Ranch in Water Valley. There is also camping in Okotoks (south of Calgary) and Strathmore (east of Calgary). Good luck!

calgary
Level Contributor
400 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: camping in calgary during stampede

i would say mountain view would be the better location. none of the sites close to town are very great settings for camping in my opinion.calgary west is ok but calaway park is set right beside thier own theme park and is very busy and basically just a field.you might want to just try and find something out of town and drive in but most places are a ways out and around an hour or so away.alot of them are prob booked up so you might have to take what you can get. i went to gull lake last year(provincial park) and they were booked up for the summer by april. good luck

Calgary
Level Contributor
63 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: camping in calgary during stampede

Look into this one. http://www.naturesfamilycampground.com/

It is about half an hour to the South end of Calgary and the southern most Ctrain station, but it looks more like a campground than a parking lot.

4. Re: camping in calgary during stampede

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:16 pm, June 20, 2013