We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Calgary & Rocky family vacation this summer

Which Calgary hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Kitchener, Canada
2 posts
Save Topic
Calgary & Rocky family vacation this summer

First time to West and we are 5 of us including 3 small kids (5,3,1) from Kitchener Ontario. Wanted to schedule 1-2 days in Calgary and 4-5 days for Rocky by car. We are flying from Kitchener to Calgary. Kindly anyone recommend things to do, places to visit and stay in Calgary and in Rocky? Need to be comfortable and safe for kids but love to experience the Rocky closely as well. Not high ends but ready to pay for the quality.. Also will last week of July be good timing to be there or too busy? Thank you for any information and tips!!

From Ju-Heang's family

Cranbrook, Canada
Level Contributor
20 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Calgary & Rocky family vacation this summer

Sorry... by "Rocky" do you mean the Rocky Mountains; ie, Banff? I'll assume you mean Banff, although the only place I know as "Rocky" is Rocky Mountain House, well to the north.

Calgary - the zoo is probably the one must-see attraction for kids that age. They would probably also enjoy Heritage Park.

Banff - take the kids to the Cave and Basin - both the Parks Canada exhibit there, and the boardwalk down into the wetlands, where the kids can see exotic fish that thrive in the hot springs water. Drive to Lake Louise and go on a picnic at the Lake, where the kids will probably get to see golden-mantled ground squirrels. Go to Marble Canyon in nearby Kootenay National Park and walk the nature trail - keep a close eye on the kids here! My suggestion is that you try to get the kids doing self-directed activities rather than buying tickets to all the tourist "attractions" like the gondola rides, etc. You'll have had a more fulfilling Banff experience as a result. Last week of July is busy, but it doesn't sound like you have much choice. Get up and on the road early each day if you can!

Kitchener, Canada
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Calgary & Rocky family vacation this summer

Thanks for the info, Mt Swansea. Yes, I mean Rocky Mountains. Also could you recommend any hotels in the area (Banff, Lake Lousie..) where we can stay for 4-5 days as a base camp to experience Rocky Mt.? I have a option of first week of Aug instead but I guess it doesn't change much..

Thanks again for the help!

Calgary
Level Contributor
757 posts
183 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Calgary & Rocky family vacation this summer

Bullwinkle had a prior commitment and couldn't make it this time...

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary
Level Contributor
25,404 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Calgary & Rocky family vacation this summer

I always look around for Rocky & Bullwinkle in the Banff townsite, at the corner of Moose & Squirrel.

5. Re: Calgary & Rocky family vacation this summer

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:42 am, June 21, 2013